Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Last Dandelion of Summer

It's a lovely, sunny - though slightly chilly - day today. Even though it's Saturday, I seem to have lost the ability to sleep in so we set off at about ten for Hetchell Woods, just off Wetherby Road north of Leeds.

The last dandelion of summer was putting a brave face on it. When there are lots of dandelions about, I hardly notice them as individuals - - but here it was, the last dandelion, all cheery in the sunshine.

Everything else was autumnal though. Rose hips on the bushes:

dead willow-herb, colourful in the sunshine:

fungi on dead branches:

and the fields were pretty, but in an autumnal kind of a way.

There were still a few policemen's helmets though:

I like these - if you touch the seed cases they explode and it's FUN. Another name for them is "touch-me-not". But I'll always touch them, oh yes - it's amazing to see how far the seeds will scatter.

It's definitely autumn, and although autumn can be beautiful, it means, of course, that winter's on its way. Brrrrrrr.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Milo said...

I still haven't put the central heating on but I think I'm going to need to v.soon. Was quite cold when I went to bed and fairly bracing this morning.

I may have been born in the 1970s but I feel like austerity is a part of my DNA. Strange but true.

1:55 pm  
Blogger WendyCarole said...

so that's what they are! Policeman's helmets. We saw loads when we were walking in a nature reseerve near Doncaster. I got a right fright when I touche done and it exploded everywhere great fun.

I haven't put central heating on yet either but I was so cold at home the other day that I don't think it will be long.

4:05 pm  
Blogger Bernard said...

"The Last Dandelion of Summer" does not quite have the same 'ring' to it as "The Last Rose.....etc"

WV today was "cankers" now if that had been "conkers" I would have thought it very weird.

5:54 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

I have - put the central heating on for a couple of days.

6:01 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Brrrrrrr? Better answer that phone. It could be The Snow Queen calling....

6:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home