Tuesday, October 06, 2009

And Now, Some Music

It's been a busy day which included some great second-year medical students. But I'm very tired now so here's some music.

I heard a song on the radio the other day and thought - - hey, that's Abba. Now then. I've always liked Abba. I liked them when it was considered cool to like them, and also when it was considered deeply uncool. I'm not sure now if they're so cool they're nearly uncool or so uncool they're cool. No idea. Don't care. All together now - - Dancing Queen - -

But this song's always sounded a bit different, to me - and I just found out that it was the last song that they ever recorded, which is probably why.

It's strangely haunting, and unusual, and I love it. So here we are, back to 1982.

4 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

One of the things that I always hated about Abba was the fact that they couldn't enunciate their lyrics properly and this was as true in "The Day Before You Came" as it was in "Waterloo". My idea of hell would be being tied to a cinema seat to watch "Mama Mia". Sorry! I guess that means I am not your friend any more... However, sung by a native English speaker like Barbra Streisand, Sting or Heather Small I am sure that "The Day Before You Came" could be extra special.

10:12 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

It is a very haunting song, Daphne and I always find that playing Abba is good when I'm feeling a bit fed up or tired. Very energizing!
YP, I have to disagree with you- I never found their enunciation at all unclear. I'd like to think my Swedish would be as good! ;)

10:42 am  
Blogger Ailbhe said...

Nice song.

I am trying to work out how Sting's enunciation could be clearer than Abba's, and I can't.

1:49 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

YP - well, of course, I disagree (as do Jennyta and Ailbhe hehe) but we can still be friends. I don't often like cover versions but I'd be interested to a Heather Small version though as I really like her voice!

5:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home