Saturday, October 03, 2009

A Day of Visitors

It's been a day of visitors today, and very pleasant too.

This morning Jenny and her husband Keith came over and we met them for the first time - they were en route to Bradford from their home in North Wales and called in for a cuppa and a chat (yes, I know, Leeds isn't exactly en route to Bradford but you know what I mean.)

Silverback came over too. He's met Jenny before, when he was on the way to join us on holiday in Tenby in July, but I had never met her.

As I've mentioned before, when I started writing this blog in early 2006, I didn't even know whether there was anyone out there who might read it - let alone that I might make new friends through it. It was lovely to meet Jenny and Keith and of course it's always great to see Silverback. My mother came over, all the way from next door - she is very sociable and loves meeting new people.

Then Olli rang me. Saturday is Olli and Gareth's Games Group's meeting - - the games in question are Dungeons and Dragons-type fantasy games. A group of up to six of them usually start at about two and go on until about midnight. Usually they play in their friend Luke's shed, but today all his family were away, so they couldn't use the shed. Could they use our living-room?

This games group has been running every week for four years now and Luke's family kindly built them the shed primarily for this purpose, after they'd played in our living room for a year or so. "Shed" is a bit of a false description of this centrally heated sofa-covered venue, but they seem to be coping fine in our living room today in spite of the fact that it's smaller. There are four of them today. Apart from Olli and Gareth, there's Jo who is a student and Guy who is an engineer - - and they seem to be having a good time: there's a lot of laughter coming out of the room.

So we've just ordered most of the contents of the local Indian take-away to feed everyone.

I've never been a fan of the formal, dinner-party type of entertaining, but on the other hand I love it when there are friends in the house and I always want them to feel at home. So it's been a very enjoyable day, with some lovely people.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

It was lovely to meet you at last, too, Daphne and thank you for your hospitality. I really enjoyed meeting you, Stephen and your mum. :)

11:06 am  
Blogger Debby said...

Oh yes! I love friends in the house! Doing the happy jiggle just thinking of it!!!

12:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home