Sunday, October 04, 2009

The Strange Case of the Lawyer's Wig

Oh all right then, I admit it, it seems to be Autumn. I looked down by my feet in the park this morning and found a bit of a clue:

And another big clue is this, growing out of our drive:

So what does this look like to you? (Just stop it now, you lot on the back row. I said stop it).

Yes, you're absolutely right, you guessed it first time. It's a Shaggy Ink-Cap. An Autumnal fungus. As it grows it gets - well - shaggy at the sides and is also known as a Lawyer's Wig.

It's edible, apparently, though for some reason I didn't fancy it with my fish fingers this evening.

People get all romantic about Autumn - - look at John Keats with his season of mists and mellow fruitfulness. All that about "to bend with apples the moss'd cottage-trees."

All very lovely as far as it goes, but I think he might have squeezed in a description of a Shaggy Ink-Cap somewhere, if only out of pity for those doing English Literature exams.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Milo said...

That is a bizarre looking 'shroom for sure!

6:57 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

I love the fallen leaves picture -so many different colours, like a mosaic. Nice one Daphne!...And now, it's time to root out your thermals, as the actress said to the bishop.

9:54 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?"

10:27 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I have seen those leaves before somewhere. Oh, yes, it was here and here. Your photo could have been the model for Katherine's painting. Odd, though, yours is autumn and she entitled hers Enkindled Spring.

It truly has become a small world when a UK blogger-friend's photo reminds a US blogger of a NZ blogger-friend's painting.

2:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home