Friday, October 09, 2009

Brilliant - - but I'm not sure - -

Someone sent me the link to this group, the Voca People, today.

Brilliantly clever and their vocal ability could certainly put most X-Factor contestants to shame - - but do I like it? Do you like it?



When you watch most singing groups you like to feel you can get to know them a bit, their voices and their personalities - - and look forward to seeing them again.

But for some reason this lot are all dressed - not to beat about the bush - like those sperm from the Woody Allen film Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex, But Were Afraid to Ask. (I saw it when I was very young. It obviously made a big impression on me. Well, I remember the sperm, anyway).

Anyway, the end result is that they all look the same. And yes, what they do is really incredibly skilled. Even though I hate that "here's-a-cute-little-fella"-type voice on the introduction.

But I wouldn't want to watch a whole evening of them, unless they got rid of the Sperm Suits and started dressing like real people. And saved the look-how-clever-we-are showy bit for the end of the concert.

I think they're a bit Marmite - - love them or hate them. What do you think?

I'm always wary of writing that. I think I'll get NO COMMENTS and feel like Daphne-No-Mates. We'll see.

7 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

I do love that sort of thing but in this case the way they're dressed detracted from my listening enjoyment. Guess in this day and age you need a gimmick.

I didn't even mind the miming as I wanted good sound for this first viewing. Just donno what future such an act has.

See, you have one friend !

12:09 am  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Loved em! Very talented and having loads of fun into the bargain. What's wrong with looking like a sperm? Ask a sperm whale that question and wait for the answer.

12:32 am  
Blogger Jennytc said...

No, sorry - extremely irritating. I didn't even get to the end of the clip. :(

7:46 am  
Blogger Von said...

Great fun but couldn't take hours of it.See the point of the costumes so all good.Glad you got some comments so you're not all alone....

8:50 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

saw these on facebook the other day and have to say i felt pretty much the same, thought their skill was good but the costumes were so annoying and just distract from what you think would be the point! i imagine they would go down well on a saturday teatime tv type thing though..

12:22 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

What Silverback and Yorkshire Pudding and GooseBreeder and myrtle said (except for the part of seeing them on facebook the other day).

Musically, they are very good. Visually, they are interesting for a few seconds but soon become very annoying.

Thank you for posting about the Voca People. Live and learn.

4:51 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

I loved the idea and the effort. After about 60 seconds, I kept wondering why they were dressed in condoms. I'd hear something and think 'oh that was cool' and then SNAP I'd be back to worrying why they were dressed in condoms. Funny where our minds take us...I didn't read the rest of the post until after watching the dancing condoms and you compared them to sperm. Hmmmmm maybe we need to ask old Sigmund what he thinks of our interpretation of the group??!!

8:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home