Sunday, May 23, 2010

In Lilac Time

It's been a beautiful weekend here, weather-wise. After the really hard winter, all the plants seem to have made even more of an effort than usual and suddenly the whole garden is full of flowers.

The lilac bushes in the garden have been here since we (that's the Communist, my mother, my grandmother and me) moved in in 1959. Yes, I was very young indeed, thank you for mentioning it.

So the bushes are huge now, and the scent wafts in through our bedroom window, and it's delightful.

The yellow daffodils are gone and the garden is full of blues and purples: glorious, strong colours:

and this:

and here's the lilac itself. It starts off - well, lilac in colour, and then when the flowers are fully open it's a bluey-pink. Or maybe a pinky-blue.

This is my favourite time of year: around the end of May and the beginning of June, with lovely sunshine and the rest of the summer to come. Wonderful!

2 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

We'll gather lilacs in the spring again
And walk together down an English lane
Until our hearts have learned to sing again
When you come home once more

- Ivor Novello

8:34 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

I love lilacs - we don't seem to grow them here quite as well. Probably too warm in winter.

Your description has made me feel all 'UK-sick', as May is the time I have almost always gone for my UK holidays, and I love the way lilac tumbles over the walls and fences everywhere. Delightful profusion! Heavenly scent!

10:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home