Monday, May 17, 2010

What Would You Most Like to Be?

Olli told me this story the other day.

He was in Year Three, so aged about seven.

The teacher, Mrs Duncalf, asked the whole class what they'd most like to be.

Everyone except Olli took this to mean "when you grow up". So all the boys said they'd like to be footballers and all the girls said they'd like to be Spice Girls. Yes, I know, gender conditioning and all that.

Then Mrs Duncalf asked Olli.

"I'd like to be a white-crested hornbill," said Olli, thoughtfully.

Olli's teachers always made very positive comments on his reports but I could tell that they were always a bit puzzled.

3 Comments:

Blogger Debby said...

What a fun thing to ponder!

Would I like to be a majestic whale gliding through the water, flipping my fluke into the air to thrill the onlookers?

A hummingbird might be fun also...flitting here, there, and everywhere.

A lilac. Ah, to give off that heavenly scent for all to enjoy.

A mighty oak....branches supporting swings for children and shade for sitting.

I think, upon reflection, I want to be exactly who I am. I think I like that best of all.

6:57 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

As adults meeting people for the first time we are often asked - "What do you do?" The expectation is that we will pigeon-hole ourselves by naming our current job. Very often I have said something like this - "Well I play the guitar and I'm quite fond of growing potatoes. I also seem to spend a lot of time just thinking..." Deliberately avoiding any reference to work for surely we are more than work.

12:42 am  
Blogger WendyCarole said...

I love answers like that when I am teaching.

I always wanted to be an elephant!

9:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home