Sunday, May 16, 2010

Dappled Things

Here's the path around Waterloo Lake in Roundhay Park, Leeds, yesterday morning:

I love the dappled effect of sunshine through trees.

So, I believe, does just about everyone else. There's a poem by Gerard Manley Hopkins that begins "Glory be to God for dappled things" - you can find it here if you want to.

I'm not quoting it because it's a rather strange poem if you ask me (or even if you don't) and actually I think it goes a bit downhill after the first line. The rhythm's called Sprung Rhythm, I seem to remember from my Eng Lit days.

However, although I'm not religious I'm with Gerard on this - dappled things are delightful, generally, and I'm not sure why. Perhaps, in ancient times, a dappled clearing in the forest was a safe place to be.

5 Comments:

Anonymous ruth said...

I think you're right about a dappled clearing being a safe place. I'm looking for one but the sun keeps letting me down.

1:13 pm  
Anonymous Oliver said...

Gerard Manley Hopkins also wrote things you'd like more -

http://www.bartleby.com/122/40.html

that one's nice and gloomy.

2:15 pm  
Blogger Ailbhe said...

I'm sure I've read this post before.

5:11 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

So you would also like this, then?

8:25 pm  
Anonymous Michael Communistson said...

Aha, John Atkinson Grimshaw.

http://www.johnatkinsongrimshaw.org/Tree-Shadows-on-the-Park-Wall,-Roundhay-Park,-Leeds-large.html

5:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home