Monday, September 28, 2009

Deja Shoe

My roleplay finished earlier than expected this morning and I called in to get some petrol, since I'm taking my Mum to Hull later on today to see the excellent band Djangology.

Then, having got petrol, I thought - I'm near the shoe shop. And hey, I could do with some new smart black shoes because I need to look like a Proper Person with Proper Shoes, because I start working with some university students tomorrow.

So I drove to a parking space near the shoe shop, and walked to the shoe shop, and looked in the window, and saw a pair of smart black shoes that looked exactly right - - - and slightly familiar - - - - strange, I thought - -

And then I remembered.

Just before we went to Italy (I've been to Italy, you know), I called in at the same shoe shop to buy some new sandals: they were excellent, I wore them all the time in Italy (did I mention that I went to Italy recently?).

Whilst I was buying the sandals I noticed a pair of smart black shoes and thought hey, I could do with a pair of smart black shoes because I'll be working with some university students in the autumn, and I'll need to look like a Proper Person with Proper Shoes.

So I had already bought the identical pair, back in August.

I stepped quietly away from the shoe shop and came home, and found the smart black shoes in their box in my bedroom.

I've always prided myself on my good memory but I think that's it now. Gone. Goodbye. No more. It's only a matter of time before people will start patting me on the head and calling me "dear".

I'll write more tomorrow, when I'm back from wherever it is I'm going tonight. If I can find my way home, of course.

5 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

FOR YOUR INFORMATION -Aloysius "Alois" Alzheimer, born on 14th June 1864 and died 19th December 1915, was a German psychiatrist and neuropathologist. Alzheimer is credited with identifying the first published case of "presenile dementia", which Kraepelin would later identify as Alzheimer's disease.
HOPE THAT'S HELPFUL.

3:02 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

Before someone else says it (not that you'd remember anymore)...welcome to my world.

I would, however, remember buying a pair of shoes as it would've been a once in a decade event. You can't be a memember of 'The Forgetful Club' quite yet though as you DID remember where you put the shoes.

And btw, we've only ever had one meeting of the club for obvious reasons.

3:27 pm  
Blogger Grumpy Old Ken said...

Funny how we are all doing the 'losing it' thing. Must be an age thing.

8:28 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

YP - - I once heard an actor say "When do you start rehearsals for the play about Alzheimer's?" And the other one replied "Can't remember."
Silverback - - I think you can print out my membership card for The Forgetful Club in case it ever has a second meeting. Presumably losing the card is a condition of membership anyway.
Bernard - I hope I don't start doing everything twice, that's all. I hope I don't start doing everything twice, that's all.

12:50 am  
Blogger Debby said...

You've been hanging around Ian too much!!!

2:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home