Thursday, December 04, 2008

A Small Improvement

The doctor predicted that the Communist would be dead by yesterday morning: but the Communist had other ideas.

So he's a tiny bit better but still critically ill with kidney failure and all sorts. But I know that, because he likes being alive and has no belief in the afterlife, he will keep going as long as he can. He's always said "If ever I have a terminal illness, don't tell me, I don't want to know".

We fly back from Florida on Friday and I have asked my brother, who's in Leeds, to tell the Communist thatI send him lots of love, that I'll see him on Saturday and if he's not better by then there'll be trouble. This is the kind of thing I'd usually say - anything more sentimental and he'd think he was dying, and panic.

Meanwhile, here, in spite of the worry of it all, we have had a truly wonderful day - a boat trip round Fort Lauderdale - where Johnny Depp grew up! - a superb meal at the fascinating Hard Rock Cafe in Miami. and then a visit to the glorious Art Deco buildings along the beach.

It's odd that I've managed to have such a great day in the middle of all this. It's strange being in two worlds at once. I so hope that I'll get the chance to tell the Communist about the Florida world.

Many thanks to all those who have left lovely comments on my last post - they are very much appreciated.

1 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Little did you know that the Communist is alive and well in you - his daughter. Even if he shakes off this mortal coil before you return, he has already found his immortality in the way you live your life, the way you think and the way you speak and in the memories you have of him. Three cheers for the Communist!

5:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home