Monday, December 01, 2008

Photography and Palm Trees


I have always loved taking photographs and can't remember a time when I didn't own a camera - firstly an ancient Box Brownie and then for most years of my childhood an Instamatic 100. I am not particularly technically-minded (I can hear the loud chorus of hysterical laughter from those who know me) but you may remember that, when I was in Barcelona a few weeks ago, I hit on Daphne's Theory of Photography and it is this:

ANY PHOTOGRAPH LOOKS BETTER WITH A PALM TREE IN IT

(there might be an exclusion clause for ones taken at the North or South Poles, but otherwise I think it's pretty universal)

Here are some palm trees in Barcelona:

Here in Florida there are lots of different kinds but they all have those cheery tops like little explosions, rather like that Manchester sculpture The B of the Bang.

Has anyone ever said "Palm trees! They're just so depressing, aren't they?" I don't think so. I can't look at them without smiling.

Also, of course, there could be something in the theory that the places where palm trees are found tend to make me smile too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:54 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Worldwide it is estimated that at least 150 people die each year because of falling coconuts and many more die scaling palm trees to collect nuts. I guess they wouldn't seem so attractive to these people's families.

7:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home