Saturday, November 29, 2008

Bald Eagles and Rockets

Today, on a tour, I saw some great wildlife:

Lots of alligators including this one:

Two bald eagles at their nest:

Plus four armadillos, dolphins swimming in a blue, tranquil sea, pelicans both brown and white, ibis, egrets, wild boar, vultures, many different species of sea birds - - and a very brief glimpse of a manatee as its back broke the surface of the water.

But the really amazing thing was that I saw all this in passing. What I had come to see was this kind of thing:

Launch Pad 39B, from where the Apollo missions to the moon were launched, plus some of the much more recent Space Shuttles.

Yes, I was at the Kennedy Space Center, which is set amongst a vast acreage of wildlife sanctuary.

Now then. I have always been fascinated by space travel and, on the other hand, always wanted to be David Attenborough.

Can you guess that I had a Grand Day Out of almost unbelievable Grandness? Stephen thrilled to all the electronicky bits ("I used to buy those second-hand when I was a teenager!") Silverback, who has been there more than once before, watched our open mouths with great patience.

The tickets last for two days and we're going back tomorrow, because you can't see it all in one day.

I'll leave you with some rockets in the sunset.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG love the rocket pic!! Fab!! Sounds like you are having such an amazing time!! Dawn has broken in Blighty and trust me, you ain't missin'owt!

8:08 am  
Blogger Debby said...

Your picture of the rockets looks rather like wine bottles!

1:51 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Glad you are having such a grand time. Are you going to be able to readjust to life in Leeds?

4:23 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

"Rockets in the Sunset"? I thought that was an indie band from Cleckheaton!

10:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home