Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Suddenly

Before I left, although the Communist was as well as he gets these days, I said a very fulsome farewell to him, because he's eighty-five after all, and you never know, do you?

And then I rang him for a brief chat every day from America, because you never know, do you? I think there was one day when he didn't answer, because he was asleep or couldn't reach the phone or something, but I managed to talk to him every other day.

The last time I spoke to him was from the Kennedy Space Centre, on our second day there - a place that he would have loved to have visited, if he hadn't been a Communist, that is, and known he would never go to America. He's always loved space travel and it was that which sparked my interest initially.

He sounded a bit chesty but not too bad. The last thing I said to him was "I'll ring you tomorrow, lots of love."

The next day when I rang, he didn't answer.

Now he's in hospital with double pneumonia and kidney failure, and the doctors are pessimistic about his chances of pulling through this time.

Of course, this was the worst-case scenario that I envisaged when we booked the Florida trip. Thank goodness my brother Michael (who sometimes leaves comments on this blog as Michael Communistson) is in Leeds at the moment and can look after my mother, who is eighty-four and really won't be coping well, I know.

It all feels strangely unreal.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear that your father is ill. We were in Ely two years ago when my father-in-law (95years then - 97 now) fell and suddenly needed to be moved to assisted living facilities. We were dismayed to be so far away and yet be needed at home. It was amazing how well our 30 year old son managed that entire situation and I am sure that your brother will cope just as nicely.

Please know that I am thinking of you and wishing you and your family strength during this time.


Liz

2:35 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Really sorry to hear that, Daphne. It's sod's law that these things happen when we're away. I'm sure your brother will hold the fort while you're away, but it must be very upsetting for you.

3:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long time lurker delurking to say I'm so very sorry.
Rotten thing to happen.

4:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody sends their love and good wishes. Especially me.

7:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you at this difficult time.

7:27 pm  
Blogger Ailbhe said...

I'm so sorry. I hope he's as comfortable as possible.

9:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best wishes, Daphne; and to all your family.

Julie paradox

11:06 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Daphne, my prayers are with both you and your father at this time.

3:39 am  
Blogger Malcolm Cinnamond said...

I'm so sorry Daphne. I'll be keeping fingers crossed for The Communist.

6:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home