Sunday, December 07, 2008

Communist Update

Of course I went to visit the Communist as soon as I got back yesterday and he was very weak but perfectly coherent: although he sometimes couldn't reply to what I said he could certainly understand as I told him all about Florida and the Kennedy S;ace Centre, a place he would have loved to have visited.

He was longing for a cup of tea - he greeted me with "Ah! So can I have a cup of tea now?" but was sadly unable to swallow - when I tried him on a tiny sip of the nasty thickened gloop he's supposed to be drinking, he coughed and choked.

And that's the thing. He can't swallow. So although he's got a line in to hydrate him, he just can't eat and they think that putting in a feeding tube would simply cause him more distress than it's worth, and my brother and I agree. And without food, of course, he is really deteriorating fast.

So we're going down to the hospital now. I will let you know when there is more news, and many thanks to you all for your good wishes.

5 Comments:

Blogger Debby said...

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Shhhhh just don't tell Daddy I'm praying for him and it'll all be OK.

4:59 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Thinking of you Daphne.

8:09 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

I'm so sorry, Daphne.

9:26 pm  
Blogger Ailbhe said...

Oh, Daphne, I am sorry.

11:13 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Eating is over-rated anyway. One more Christmas Mr Communist! One more New Year! Perhaps one more springtime! Come on lad! The snowdrops are already stirring.

11:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home