Sunday, November 09, 2008

Out of Season, Again

A couple of weeks ago, near the end of October, I wrote about the North Yorkshire seaside resort of Scarborough, out of season . Here's the kind of thing - the view of the empty Spa from inside it:

and some wild waves in North Bay: (you can click on any of these photos to enlarge them if you wish)

I've always liked places out of season, with fewer people and, generally, a slightly melancholy feel.

It was out of season in Barcelona too, though I'm not sure when exactly is in season - apparently a lot of places close in August, presumably because it's too hot.

Barcelona out of season looks slightly different from Scarborough. Here's the view from Miramar, looking over the city:

and here are some beach chairs:

and a beach cafe:

Again, I loved the lack of crowds - I selfishly think that, when I'm on a beach, the people there should be a) me and b) anyone I'm with and c) that's it.

But sorry, Barcelona, there's something about the blue skies that just doesn't cut it on the pleasing-melancholy front. Blue skies, for me, mean Cheerful.

I've never in my life travelled so much as I have this year. For many years my foreign travel consisted entirely of an annual trip camping in France with my family - and don't get me wrong, I loved that. But I've always wanted to travel more, and always thought I couldn't - since my early thirties anyway - because I've had a thrombosis in my leg, the famous DVT that the newspapers are always going on about, and it was a very bad one, undiagnosed for some weeks

(Me: "Aaargh aaargh this pain is unbearable - it's the worst pain I've ever had in my life aaargh aargh help me I can't stand it what's wrong with it?"
Young Doctor: "Er - - dunno. I'll come back on Thursday.")

until it became a pulmonary embolism and all hell broke loose.

But over the years my leg's got a lot better and, belatedly, I'm beginning to travel. And a week on Friday I'm going to Florida with Stephen, to visit our good friend Silverback, meet some of his friends in America, see something of Florida and see some blue skies.

Florida in winter, of course, will be in season, full of snowbirds - people who migrate down there for the winter from the colder North.

Much as I love the out-of-season-melancholy look, I thinkI'm most definitely prepared to trade it in for a couple of weeks of cheerful blue skies.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You get blue skies, I get green with envy.

8:43 am  
Blogger Silverback said...

Just to prepare you, Daphne. It's not all blue skies here you know. The other day we had some fluffy white clouds....but they soon went away.

Definitely more Barcelona than Scarborough but I still miss the fish & chips.

2:17 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

I thought Pulmonary Embolism was an Indy band from Cleckheaton! While in Florida watch out for the alligators - they lurk everywhere watching unsuspecting tourists. You might be able to argue with airline cabin crew but you can't argue with an alligator.

5:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear about your Florida trip!

And Mike has just arrived in Miami, too. Sounds great!
http://bigyellowtaxi.wordpress.com/

I'm very jealous of all these people jetting to warmer climes!

5:28 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

Definitely not out of season here!

7:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home