Thursday, November 06, 2008

Traffic, a Tram - - - and a sunset

Here's a rare image of some stationary Barcelona taxis. They all look like this - or rather they would if they stood still. Usually they are to be seen flashing past at Warp Factor Nine like large angry wasps.

Of course, there are strict rules - you know, red lights and such - which all traffic has to obey. Except taxis, it appears. And tourist buses. Oh, and any kind of motorbike or scooter. Hey, and pushbikes, which seem to go absolutely anywhere.

But I, of course, have had recent training in Paris traffic, and Barcelona is but a beginner compared to Paris. In Paris, pedestrians and traffic do constant battle with filthy looks and obscene gestures - though everyone seems to take it in good part, as if it's somehow expected.

So, with my best Parisian Insolent Stare I have seen off several taxi drivers who have hoped to drive through a light that's in my favour. Don't try it on the motorbikes, though, is my advice - you may have right on your side but you'll be just as dead as if you'd been wrong. Even Antoni Gaudi, Barcelona's most famous architect whose work is everywhere here, died because he was run over by a tram.

So, hasta la vista then Barcelona - goodbye until I see you again. Which I hope won't be long, because it's as wonderful as everyone says - all the attributes of the best of cities and some lovely beaches too!

And it's the city that taught me that any photograph looks better with a palm tree in it somewhere:

Picturesque, and jolly too - who would not love them? The photo above was taken this evening, just before sunset, on a lovely warm November 6.

And, before I fly back to Leeds tomorrow (it was grey and foggy there today- yippee!) i will leave you for now with a photograph of the sun setting over the sea and the Olympic Port.

What a wonderful few days I've had here. And poor Stephen, busy with the Tech-Ed conference, has seen none of it.

But I'm sure we'll be back.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is a lovely city, I knew you'd like it.

11:10 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Your traffic expeiences sound very similar to ours when we visited Florence, Daphne!

8:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home