Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Living Statues

"When I grow up I want to be a Living Statue."

Who says that? I bet nobody ever did. And yet there they are, scattered over London and all down La Rambla in Barcelona too.

Here's a bit of local interest:

"Aah yes, just what I hoped to see when I came to Barcelona. I'll definitely give him some money."

And there was this one:

I'm not so sure what this one was about, except she'd decided upon a bigger bucket:

And lots of people seem to want their photos taken standing next to them:

and again:

Sometimes these statues have a lunch break and you see them chatting to each other and eating crisps, which doesn't seem right, somehow.

Of course, it's highly skilled, all this standing still - - just, er, not that interesting. And as a career choice, I think it sucks. All that putting paint on your face every morning. And all that not moving can't be good for you.

I suppose they brighten the place up a bit but after a while I got a bit bored. Oh, yes, another Living Statue. Hurrah.

I don't know where they come from, or how they decide to do it, or what. The only one I really liked - and the one I actually gave some money to - was this chap.

Because he did lots of amazing tricks with this football - amazing to me, anyway - balancing it on his head, spinning it - - all with tremendous control.

I suppose the thing about keeping still is that we all think we can do it, at least for a while. Whereas this kind of skill is more obvious. It has more of the Fun Factor and more of the Ooh, That's Clever factor. I think that, given the choice, I'd rather watch someone doing something than someone standing still.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you for giving that guy some money. Must be thankless standing outside doing that all day.

10:49 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Hang on - if that last one was doing tricks then he wasn't a statue at all! He could have been Ronaldinho himself! Wonder how these living statues would go down on The Headrow in Leeds and is it possible to do a degree in statuism at Leeds Met?

11:53 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

When I'm still, I never get any money for it. Then again I'm either in my recliner watching telle, on the loo with a Readers Digest or in bed.

Actually I'm not too sure I'm very still in bed as I've got a fidgetty leg. Maybe I should make use of it and start taking a football to bed with me.

I'm beginning to see why I'm still single !

1:54 am  
Blogger Honey said...

I guess the majority of people don't do their work out of choice but need. and they add a bit of colour to the strrets and some are pretty inventive, I vote yes for the living statues!

1:29 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

These things occur because someone with an artistic urge or creative bent and no job must find a way to express it and receive a measure of approval. Better to be doing something than just moping around the house all day reading the want ads, unless you're a living statue, and then you spend a great deal of time in private getting ready to do nothing at all in public except hoping to be admired or noticed or appreciated.

Some people call it "performance art."

I wonder what the statues tell their therapists?

2:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Street theatre is a major and varied artform. I have done it myself. But I am sorry - I don't like living statues. I think it's a pretty poor form of street theatre.

PS Sorry, rhymeswithplague, I must take issue with your comment. I don't think most living statues do it to receive a measure of approval. They do it to earn money. (Of course, a measure of approval is probably welcomed too just not as much as hard cash.)

5:09 pm  
Blogger AnneDroid said...

I'd be rubbish at it. I'm too wriggly. I can't even sit still in a meeting or in church. I quite like living statues though.

8:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home