Saturday, May 28, 2011

Something Groovy and Good

In the ballroom at Park Hotel, Tenby, in the late 1960s, there was a Dansette record player. It was by the bay window, next to the piano.

There were only three records, all singles. One was Gerry and the Pacemakers' How Do you Do What You Do to Me? and I thought it was great. And I still do.

The second one was Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders with Groovy Kind of Love. I thought it was great. And I still do.

I'm pretty sure that the third one was an old and crackly - even then - copy of Tommy Steele with Little White Bull but I didn't like that as much as the other two so it has faded from my memory a bit.

There were a few of us there, on the cusp of our teen years. Stuart and Gordon Howe were my friends - we would swim in the pool, endlessly, doing lots of somersaults (I could do nine without stopping to breathe in those days, oh yes!) and racing each other (they always won, but in my defence Stuart later swam for Scotland in the Commonwealth Games). When we finally emerged and warmed up and were waiting for dinner-time, we would cluster round the Dansette and play the three records, and I can't tell you how much all was well with the world.

So, late last night, wallowing in nostalgia a bit, I started with Groovy Kind of Love and formed a theory.

And it is this: There has never been a song with the word Groovy in it that I dislike.

Here's three for starters.






2 Comments:

Anonymous Mike Deakin said...

A thorough search of iTunes shows that there aren't that many songs with the word "groovy" in the title.

I could have sworn there was a song by The Mamas & Papas with it in but I may be mistaken... Must find my old CD now... I'm humming California Dreaming in my head and it's all your fault!

11:46 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

What about "Barnsley is Groovy" by The Flying Pickets and "Groovy Margaret Thatcher" by Cecil Parkinson and The Nobheads. Bet you didn't like them!

9:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home