Sunday, May 22, 2011

Foreign Parts

You thought I'd vanished, didn't you?

What do you mean, you didn't notice? Sighhhh.

I don't think there's ever been such a long time between blog posts since I started this blog in 2006. But then, I don't think I've had such a busy week.

I've been working in the actors' s agency of course, and doing medical roleplay in Yorkshire from Huddersfield to Hull and several points in between.

Stephen, meanwhile, went off to Stockholm in Sweden for a week of meetings. Oh, yes, it was work - - but then he showed me the photos - - and I suddenly became a seething mass of envy! Hey, Stockholm looks great! It's all surrounded by boats and water and greenery. So I thought I'd add some photos of Stockholm to this post since they're a bit more exotic than Huddersfield or Hull (and I hasten to add I do like both of those, so there!) So here's a bit of Stockholm. They got better weather than we did, too.


To add to this, I had a big pile of marking from some students. I can't tell you too much about it, of course, but one student managed to write entirely the wrong essay. Just nothing at all to do with what he was supposed to be doing. Okay, fair enough, he got the title wrong - - though I'm not sure how. And then, amazingly, he stapled a printout of the correct title to his essay, and handed it in.

Wouldn't you have thought that he would look at the title as he stapled it on, and then look at his essay, and then look at the title - - but no. Just handed it in. Sighhh.

Here's a street in Stockholm:

On Thursday I worked on a roleplay in Huddersfield with Olli. In an inspired piece of casting, I was playing his mum: he's been doing quite a bit of Simulated Patient work too recently. But Olli then had to get to work in York by two o'clock so I drove from Huddersfield to York and then back to Leeds, where I did some work in the office, and then in the evening I had a job in Harrogate - an exam practice for doctors.

Shall we have another look at Stockholm?

On Friday I was working on another exam, for Mental Health nurses this time. It was very intense as they were practising their counselling skills on the patient (who was played by - you guessed it - me!) And, much to my relief, I was able to hand in my completed marking too on Friday!

When the exam finished and I came home to the office I just couldn't believe I'd got through the week. Stephen returned from Stockholm too.

Silverback came round for the evening. Never have I enjoyed a Chinese takeaway and a film so much. I think I must like working under pressure - I find it very satisfying when I do get everything done - - but this week was just a bit too much.

Next week, thank goodness, is a lot more normal - - busy, but not crazily so.

Here's some serene Stockholm sea.

5 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:19 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

Young Stephen is a natural with his perspective skills. Top marks.

For some reason that 2nd photo evokes very non Stockholm images in my mind. I see a small boy freewheeling down that street on his old fashioned bike (legs spread out of course) with some bread in the front basket and a very Yorkshire voice over extolling the benefits of said bread.

I think I've watched way too much tv over the years !

3:21 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Stockholm is called "the Venice of the North" because it has so many canals. I spent a month there in 1969.

That street (au contraire, Silverback) doesn't look like just any street in Stockholm, it appears to be part of Gamla Stan, the "Old Town" portion that dates to the 13th century, and about which I blogged, sort of, almost exactly three years ago.

7:05 pm  
Anonymous Stephen said...

Thank you for your kind words about the photos. It means a lot coming from a true photographer. I think Stockholm did its best to look good in the sunshine.

For the record, the cobbled street was Urvädersgränd: not quite in Gamla Stan, but close. You can see nearly the same picture on StreetView. Any child on a bike would get a surprise: it gets steeper and steeper, then suddenly drops into steps.

9:20 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Photos of Stockholm more "exotic" than Hull? You will be incarcerated in Clifford Tower, York before the Yorkshire Commission for Human Rights arranges for your transport to Kandahar, Afghanistan. Then you'll see what "exotic" means!

12:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home