Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Sorry - - what?

Today I was working at a hotel somewhere in England, helping to recruit and train some new Simulated Patients.

For those of you who don't know, a Simulated Patient is someone playing the role of a patient, for the training or assessment of healthcare professionals.

It's a term that is extremely familiar to many - though not, perhaps, to all - doctors, dentists, nurses, physiotherapists - - anyone involved in working with patients.

It is not, perhaps, so familiar to other members of the public.

I include in this category the people who type out notices to label the doors of hotel rooms.

And this, dear reader, is why when we arrived at the room in the hotel today, we were met by a large notice on the door which announced, perhaps, what we might be doing during the course of the meeting.

It said:

SIMULATING PATIENCE

4 Comments:

Anonymous Ruth said...

Tee hee
just goes to show that whilst written communication may not convey tone of voice, it's pretty important when informing someone what to put on a notice...
...unless the notice writer was being intentionally funny...
...or you are making it up!

5:11 am  
Blogger Daphne said...

Ruth - - you're quite right, and although it sounds like something invented for comedy value, it really wasn't - sadly the notice was taken down before I could take a photo of it!

8:35 am  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Too funny! I am usually quite meticulous with my spelling (I always won the spelling bees in school), but this week I had one of those moments myself. I left the church secretary a note saying my offertory would be "Lo, How a Rose Ere Blooming" (for the first Sunday in Advent) when what I meant, of course, was "Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming"...

I'm getting careless in my old age. A rose ere (before) blooming is no rose at all, but a rose e'er (ever) blooming, that's something to contemplate.

Perhaps we could all use a crash course in Simulating Patience.

2:11 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

P.S. - And the bulletin for Sunday was produced before I realized my mistake, so now it will be out there in public for all to see...

2:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home