Thursday, November 11, 2010

Driving Between Two Seas

Yesterday I was working in Wigan: tomorrow I'm working in Hull. I remember a survey once showed that Hull was the city that the fewest people could place on a map, but actually it's really easy - head due East from Leeds (and surely everyone knows where Leeds is - - okay, in the North, in the middle, if you don't!) and Hull is just before you get to the mouth of the Humber river.

Then, back to Leeds tomorrow evening and then on Saturday I'm off West again, to Barrow-in-Furness on the west coast. My mother's coming with me and then we're bringing Amy (my mother's best friend from school, who thoughtfully married Mum's cousin Frank) back with us for a while.

I love visiting Barrow and the beautiful beaches all around. My mother was born there and grew up there, until she left to go to Leeds University during the Second World War. Some of my favourite relatives live there and apparently some of them are coming to see us on Saturday afternoon, which is great.

I don't want it to seem like a Special Event though, because I just can't do those. Any event that has "SPECIAL EVENT" all over it, I find upsetting: and I know that's daft but that's how it is.

I remember driving over to Barrow once, years ago, when Amy's husband Frank was still alive. My mother was staying there and I was going to collect her. Mum spent quite a while on the phone with me the night before - with the very best of intentions of course - wondering what to organise for me. My mother loves Special Events! I found myself pleading with her "No, no, please, nothing. Just a walk on the beach!"

It's difficult when you don't see relatives - ones you care about - very often. Every time you see them is therefore special. Who knows what may happen before you see them the next time?

I love that everyday kind of specialness and I hate that formal weddings-and-funerals kind of specialness.

I think I'll enjoy the trip to Hull tomorrow - the strange, flat scenery across the M62 heading East, the solid pride of Hull, the interesting work with student doctors. I'm looking forward to the trip to Barrow too. This week I've been West to Manchester Airport, East again to Leeds, West again to Wigan - - and now it's to the East Coast and then to the West Coast. I'm just hoping the current gale force winds and driving rain die down a bit first.

3 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

One thing that's always puzzled me about Barrow, is where did it get its name from? Is it because the town was built around an Iron Age barrow or is it because the local people use wheelbarrows instead of trolleys at the local supermarket?
I hope you manage(d) to pick up some nice souvenirs and take some amazing photographs in Hull.

11:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@YP:
Barrow-in-Furness 'headland island' from Br barr and ON ey
Lucy

2:55 pm  
Blogger Grumpy Old Ken said...

Seem to remember Barrow had an excellent museum.

7:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home