Monday, November 22, 2010

Sunset, Sunrise

I did a quick dash to Barrow-in-Furness to take Mum's friend Amy home. Well, I say she's Mum's friend - - she's a great friend to all of us, it's just that Mum saw her first, at school, in about 1935.

There wasn't a lot of time so we went over to Barrow yesterday and we drove along the Coast Road from Ulverston just as the sun was setting.

I love that drive. I love the phrase "Coast Road" - so evocative to me - and I love the names of the villages and hamlets on the way - - Roosebeck, Baycliff, Aldingham - - and I love the views. We kept on going past the Barrow turning to the old village of Rampside and Roa Island, which is now reached by a causeway. It feels like several miles way beyond the back of beyond.

We arrived just as the sun was setting over the beach: this photo's taken from the causeway and you can see a windfarm in the distance if you click to enlarge the photo.

If you look out to sea from Roa Island you can see Blackpool Tower in the far distance - too far and too misty for a photo though!

This morning I had to set off early back to Leeds as I was doing some work with Mental Health Nurses this afternoon. The sun had not long risen as we drove towards the Coast Road at about quarter to eight:

Then we reached the coast and saw the sun rising over the sea:

I know much of Britain's foggy, drizzly and grey in November - and I think November is my least favourite month.

But sometimes even November turns up trumps, as it did this morning. Beautiful.

7 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

Ohhhh I like the last one bestest of them all, Daffy. Hope you stopped to take them !
The tern "coast road" reminds me of another route and hopefully I'll get to show it to you next summer.

9:57 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Yes, that's my favourite too, so I'm glad you liked it. As for the other "coast road" - - I hope so too as I'd love to see it, of course.

10:06 pm  
Anonymous Milo said...

Liked the photos! I do enjoy pictures of the sea *sigh*.

11:02 pm  
Anonymous Shooting Parrots said...

Great photos. What camera do you use?

11:39 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

What beautiful photographs! There's just something about a sunrise or a sunset that causes me to rejoice.

1:03 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Gorgeous photographs, you clever thing!...Less than a month to the shortest day now.

4:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The earliest sunset is even closer: 12 December :)
but that does mean we have to wait for 5 January for the latest sunrise:(
Lucy

7:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home