Sunday, November 14, 2010

Along the Coast Road

We're just back from Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria. I took my mother over yesterday and we came back today, bringing my mother's great friend Amy.

Both times we travelled round the Coast Road and both times the light was beautiful. I just love those wide, flat beaches with all their different colours. Morecambe Bay has quite a scary reputation because of its shifting sands and incredibly dangerous currents: very many people have drowned there, most notoriously recently the Chinese cockle-pickers.

But it's a place of tremendous beauty, too. Here it is, seen from the road:

and a bit nearer to Barrow - I just love all those blues and greys and silvers:

Here's rain over the sea:

Finally, here's the beach at Bardsey, this afternoon: it's a bit hard to tell where land meet beach meets sea meets sky.

Perhaps, eventually, I might tire of looking at these views and listening to the sound of seagulls and oyster-catchers out on the mud flats. But I don't think that'll happen any time soon: this scenery brings me a feeling of joy and awe every time I see it. If you click on the photos to enlarge them then I hope you will understand what I mean.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Milo said...

Oh it makes me want to live by the sea seeing those photos.

11:25 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Lovely photographs Daphne. I wish that David Cameron, George Osborne and the odious Nick Clegg would go cockle-picking way out in Morecambe Bay just before the tide starts to return.... "Oh David! I'm scared!"
"Glug! Glug! Gl...ug!"

12:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home