Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Still Swimming

I'm still swimming in the early mornings. Some days, of course, I have to travel for work and then I can't - but otherwise, I swim. This week I've been on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.

This is actually the first time that I have been four days in a row - usually a job stops me and the most I've done before is three.

I've been doing this now since early December. Every time I go I swim at least 64 lengths, which is a mile. So, what difference has it made?

Of course, I am hoping I will become a size 10 by the summer though sadly this is most unlikely - my back is just too broad, for a start. I don't seem to have lost much weight - just a few pounds. But I do seem to have become a bit slimmer and my favourite pair of black cords won't stay up now, which nearly provided some free entertainment for the students yesterday as I walked across the campus.

I do feel fitter, definitely. I've always got out of breath very easily when walking uphill and - - let's face it, I still do. But a bit less than before. And it helps me to sleep better.

The main thing I've noticed really is a feeling of "wellness". Not that I really felt exactly ill before - - just that I never felt absolutely well. So I do feel better.

It's also helped me to feel I'm taking charge - at least to some extent - of my own health. The Communist had cardiovascular disease and had a triple heart bypass because of it. He was also diabetic - and so am I - and he had one leg amputated in his old age because of diabetic ulcers that just wouldn't heal. Both my parents have had strokes and in fact it was a stroke that caused the Communist's death.

So all that's a bit scary, to say the least. And I know that exercise should help to prevent many of the problems caused by the conditions above. I think it's having a stroke that I dread the most.

So I'm hoping that all this swimming will help to keep me in good health.

One thing I have noticed is that it relaxes me. I am one of the world's biggest worriers, I'll freely admit. This is in some ways a good thing - if I'm working on something it means I'll think of all the little details. But it also means that I worry a lot to no good purpose.

And, of course, I really enjoy swimming. Perhaps that's the most important thing of all.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dumdad said...

A mile a day - I'm impressed. I've always loved swimming but I don't seem to get to the pool as much as I would like. I used to go with my kids when they were getting swimming lessons. Swimming is a good exercise as it doesn't overstress the joints which running and other sports do.

6:14 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

I feel the same about the possibility of a stroke, Daphne. The other advantage of regular physical exercise, apparently, is that it lowers the risk of dementia.

6:31 pm  
Anonymous Suburban Mum said...

My mum had a stroke 6 years ago (even though she had a major one, she's actually fine now apart from the bucket of medication she has to take daily) and it terrifies me that the same might happen to me. Plus a family history of high blood pressure and my father has a heart valve that isn't looking too healthy.

How long does it take you to swim that mile? I can barely do 20 lengths :(

8:12 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Dumdad - yes, swimming's great for not harming the joints, hurrah!
Jennyta - hey, good news about dementia - I didn't know that.
Suburban Mum - my mother's stroke was a major one too - and the idea terrifies me too. A mile is 64 lengths and it takes me either just over, or just under an hour, depending on how crowded the pool is and how fit I'm swimming. I bet you COULD do a mile - - the first time, I was surprised that it wasn't more tiring.

8:59 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Inspirational. I know I have been far too slothful this winter. Like you I need to take more charge of my health. We may be what we eat but it is also true that psychological well-being and future health prospects are very much linked to maintaining a reasonable level of fitness.

12:16 am  
Blogger Silverback said...

....out of breath walking uphill ??!!! Didn't stop you practically running up those steep streets in Italy and as for the numerous towers you climbed, I think you're having us on.

Well done on the swimming although I'll stick to walking.

1:04 am  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

There's a verse in the Bible that fits here: "Whatever thy right hand finds to do, do it with all they might."

Even if it's the Australian crawl.

Maybe especially if it's the Australian crawl.

1:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home