Sunday, March 07, 2010

Sublime Sunsets

I do love sunsets and saw some fantastic ones when we were in Florida (oh yes, I've been to America, you know). Here's a sunset reflected in a Florida beach, November 2008:

A beautiful evening in a stunning location.

Here's another one:

Lovely sunset, isn't it? I hope it doesn't spoil your enjoyment if I tell you that Stephen was driving round the roundabout where Wetherby Road crosses the Ring Road in Leeds, on Friday evening. I spotted the sunset, pulled the camera out of my bag at top speed and clicked and this was the result. I can tell you it's a bit of a miracle that the horizon's reasonably straight, since I most certainly wasn't.

I've always loved places with hills and whenever I'm somewhere really flat it feels slightly strange to me. I remember the poet John Betjeman wrote about the "wide East Anglian sky". And if you cross the North Sea from East Anglia to Holland you find an even wider sky. The word for "countryside" in Dutch means "flat land", my brother once told me. No hills at all. Weird.

But where there are no hills, wherever in the world we may be, it's always good to see more of the sunset.

5 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

We love climbing the many Himalayan-esque peaks in Florida. The views from the top can be spectacular and on a clear day, which most are, you can see all the way down to our friends waving at us from the car park 2 feet below.

6:43 pm  
Anonymous Ruth said...

As sunsets go that one snapped from the car on a roundabout is absolutely stunning. It's as gorgeous as a painting. The American beach one is beautiful too but I'm patriotically loving the Yorkshire sunset more.

7:07 pm  
Anonymous Milo said...

Nice pics. I love sunsets too. Even in the UK we get some pretty good ones now and again.

8:45 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Lovely photos, Daphne. I, too, often find myself taking photos from the car, as Keith whizzes past but they usually turn out OK.

8:59 am  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

See my latest post!....

1:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home