Tuesday, March 02, 2010

At the Hairdresser's

You thought I'd never do it, but I did.

I was going to check on Silverback's house the other day and he'd mentioned that there was a hairdresser's near there.

So I looked along a nearby parade of shops and there was one. And it didn't even have one of those Hairdresser Names - - like Clipso or Cut and Dried.

I peered inside and it looked clean and the walls were plain white and grey - - no mauve anywhere. There were quite a few customers having things done to their hair.

So I went in. A twenty-something woman came over and smiled at me.

"Could I book an appointment for first thing on Tuesday, please?"

"Yes, of course."

So this morning off I went and when I got there I was welcomed by another smiling lady.

She didn't say any of those things that hairdressers have said to me over the years. When I was in my twenties it was always a disapproving "Who did your perm?" Those curly perms, with very tight curls, were then in fashion, and my hair was like one that hadn't quite worked.

Other hairdressers have complained that my hair is too thick, and too curly, and too dry, and said that I really shouldn't go swimming as it just makes it drier. Often they have tried against all odds to blow-dry it straight, because they have hated its curliness so much. This has not made me feel good about it, because as soon as I was out of the door the curls were back with the force of a coiled spring.

Then, when I was twenty-four, I found the hairdresser David, who was my hairdresser for many years. He knew I didn't want to talk about my hair or any of that stuff that hairdressers think you want to talk about - - have you any holidays planned? What did you do at the weekend? We talked about all sorts of things, except my hair, whilst he cut it.

Then one winter he fell on some ice outside his shop and - because he was a heavy smoker - got gangrene in both legs and had to have them amputated. He never really recovered. A couple of years later, he got a chest infection and died. I miss him - we got on well.

The only reason I drifted into having my hair cut by Mad Barbara was because she moved into the shop next door to where David had been. That, and the fact that I just don't like to think about having my hair cut, because I've always hated it so much, until it's too late to do anything about it except sigh and ring her.

But I'm trying to do things a bit differently these days. I'm very good at planning ahead with most things - - why not with haircuts?

The lady this morning didn't talk to me much. The salon was quiet. She washed my hair, and cut it, and didn't blow dry it because I told her I never do because it only goes frizzy.

My appointment was for nine o'clock and I was out of there by twenty-three minutes past.

There was a lot less excitement than there generally is at Mad Barbara's. Nobody shouted at anybody at all.

I've done it now. I've left Mad Barbara. I won't be going back.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Milo said...

Congrats! Never thought I'd see the day. Having said all that, I'll miss the Mad Barbara posts!

Perhaps you might go back *one* more time in the interests of blog fodder!

9:07 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I am so tempted to say "so you can teach an old dog new tricks then" but I dare not as it might impair Anglo-American relations, and besides, you are not canine and you are certainly not old.

9:37 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Wonderful! Btw, I hsave spent my whole life longing for curly hair as my hair is naturally straighter than a straight thing with straight on it. Do you think we could do a swap?

10:15 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

But you never said if you were happy with the end result this time. Surely you have plucked up the courage to look in a mirror by now!...And what an awful story about David...very sad.

12:07 am  
Blogger Kim said...

I agree with Milo I will miss the Mad Barbara posts :p

But I am happy you have gone somewhere else, but sad abotu David its a terrible thing to happen to anyone

XxX

3:00 pm  
Blogger Diz said...

c'mon, Daphne - let's see sopme photographic evidence.
You show me photos of yours, and I'll show you photos of mine!

11:37 pm  
Anonymous mumof4 said...

Wow - good for you!
Great step to make although like Milo, I'll miss the mad Barb posts!

Award for your blog btw...
http://mumof4.vox.com/library/post/empty-it-out.html

4:04 am  
Blogger Silverback said...

Can't believe we've Skype'd since then and I forgot to checkout the new 'do'. The headphones masked the overall effect.

I'm still trying to work out the links involved with slipping on ice, smoking and needing both legs removed due to gangrene ! Did he slip on an icy ciggie butt and slice open his legs on some carelessly discarded samurai swords. (I find there are lots of those in LS8) ?

Oh and Jenny, you have wonderful hair. If you don't want it, I'll have it.

2:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home