Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Early Autumn Flowers

It was sunny when I was outside today but it was definitely autumnal sunshine and not summer sunshine.

It can be stunningly beautiful, autumn, but nevertheless I don't like the fact that winter's on its way.

I do like some of the flowers that are still about, though.

Michaelmas Daisies:

and nasturtiums:

They're one of my favourite flowers, nasturtiums - they don't have any scent but I like the fact that they come in lots of different shades of red, orange and yellow, and I like the big round leaves.

I like eating the leaves too! They have a bitter taste, a bit like rocket I suppose - - - but I was eating nasturtium leaves out in the garden in the days before anyone in this country ever ate rocket. In those days "salad" meant lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes - - none of your fancy stuff.

I don't think I'm good with change, and there's been a lot of it this past year: I don't find it easy. Suddenly it's autumn before - weatherwise - we really knew it was summer.

Thinking back over the summer, I've had some great times and been to some fantastic places. It's all gone far too quickly.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bernard said...

Ah, Whilst you were eating Nasturtium leaves, I was pickling seeds....
http://monkey-organ.blogspot.com/2009/09/strange-shapes.html

PS Did you ever try Fushia berries?

Cheers.....Bernard

8:35 pm  
Anonymous Milo said...

Pretty flowers! I never know the names of flowers but do like them. Sheridan is a mad keen gardener (albeit he only has a small city garden).

11:27 am  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I wouldn't know a nasturtium from a Michaelmas daisy if it weren't for people like you! Thank you.

2:40 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

We call rocket arugula...every time Den hears the word 'arugula' he'll flash back to a movie we loved called 'My Blue Heaven'....Steve Martin asks in a store for arugula.....and says in a New York, Italian, accent 'It's a veg-a-tah-bul'....Den can't say it, so always makes me.

Flowers are pretty...so are fun memories...thanks for both today!

11:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home