Sunday, July 05, 2009

in the Sea

My litttle mantra, as I sit on any beach looking at a cold-looking sea is, "Remember it's always worth going in the sea". Whenever I've gone in, I've never regretted it.

It's been a day of sunshine and showers here in lovely Tenby - more sunshine than showers, but at the time I was on the beach it looked as though it might rain.

"Go in the sea," said Stephen, "You know you want to."

This morning Russ, from the delightful Silent World Aquarium, said that there are lots of little jellyfish about at the moment and indeed we did find lots washed up on the beach at nearby Waterwynch last night.

"But they're harmless," he said, though my faith in his judgement on this was rocked slightly when he followed it up with, "Mind you, I don't swim in the sea. I don't like being surrounded by water."

Yes, well, I think you'll find that even a Great White Shark is harmless just so long as you stay out of the sea.

Actually it's not the little jellyfish that I mind. It's that wiggly thing that happens under your foot when you tread on a flatfish. Ewwww. Hate it. Not enough to stop swimming in the sea though, obviously, because I just love it.

So I went in the sea, and it was wonderful - lots of big waves which is how I like it, and the sea was much warmer than usual because of the recent hot weather. The sky was a bit grey and as far as I could tell, I was the only person in the sea on the whole of North Beach.

Oh, apart from my eighty-five-year-old mother of course, who was doing backstroke and jumping the waves right beside me, and then came with me afterwards for a swim in the hotel open-air pool.

Damn! If I hadn't told you that, you might have admired my bravery and resilience.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

I'm overwhelmed by admiration for you both, Daphne! I have sent Ian on his way to you, suitably fed and watered. ;)

8:15 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I admire your bravery and resilience no matter what your mother does.

I am in awe of your mother.

2:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home