Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Strange Fruits

I eat some strange things when nobody's looking. They don't seem strange to me, of course, as I've always eaten them. But sometimes, if somebody does look, and sees me, I can tell they're thinking - - hmmm, strange.

Nasturtium leaves, for example. To me, they have a delicious freshness and the flowers taste good too. We have some growing in the garden and, as I pass, I'll grab a leaf or two and eat them.

Ever since I was small I've been eating a leaf or two of sour dock whenever I came across it. The link that I've included tells me, for the first time ever, that the leaves contain lots of potassium oxalate (whatever that is) and are poisonous if eaten in large quantities.

But that's the point - I've never eaten them in large quantities, just nicked the occasional leaf or two. It was my old grandma who introduced me to sour dock and did she ever die of it? No!

Though actually, she did die - - but that's because she was born in 1898, so would be heading for her hundred and eleventh birthday on July 28, if she was still alive. But she didn't die of sour dock poisoning!

Here's something I ate today:

A piece of cheese, perhaps? No.

When I was round at my friend David's house yesterday, his friend Graham was there and he gave me a turnip. "I've brought you a turnip, Daphne," he said. "We've grown lots of them."

Not many people would think to do that.

"Fantastic," I said, "I'll eat it raw, I love raw turnips."

Graham didn't think this was weird.

"Great," he said, "so do I".

Here it was before I peeled it:

It was delicious.

I've always liked raw vegetables. Most days I seem to eat a chunk of raw white cabbage. Raw peas are my total favourite. Raw cauliflower - - delicious! When I was a child I always used to eat raw potato, but I don't now because I'm told it's not good for me.

I suppose that many of these flavours have one thing in common, and that's a rather bitter taste. Apart from the peas, of course, which are sweet.

I remember seeing some research recently that said that some people hate bitter flavours, and some like them. Clearly, I'm one of the ones who likes them. Bring on the radishes, say I.

5 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

See your second picture. If I was brought that in a restaurant I would not be very happy. Surely they should have drizzled a little olive oil over it and added a salad garnish.

12:29 am  
Blogger Bernard said...

Only yesterday I eat a nasturtium leaf whilst checking them for the dreaded black-fly. They go nice in salads. I also save the seeds when they are small/tender and pickle them in vinegar...they are similar to capers.
I bet you haven't tried fuchsia berries? You have to wait until they are fat and juicy but are quite safe to eat.
Cheers.....Bernard

9:13 am  
Blogger Bernard said...

I meant the leaves go nice in salads
NOT....the dreaded black-fly!!

I only read it back after posting.

9:16 am  
Anonymous Milo said...

That you're an eccentric fruit is what keeps your readership coming back for more!

I love raw cabbage, always have!

Not that keen on turnips but who knows, perhaps I'd like them raw. I don't recall having eaten a lot of turnip.

In Japan they had this vegetable called a daikon. Not sure if you've heard of it before but it's right up your street! They eat it with everything.

3:17 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

YP - - no, no, I like my turnips naked as the day they were dug up!
Bernard - - no, fuchsia berries are one thing I haven't tried - - but as soon as they ripen, I will!
RWP - yes, I did know the song and I just rather tastelessly nicked its title!

8:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home