Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

The Communist wasn't a great one for remembering Father's Day, but I always did.

So I'd take him a card and a box of chocolates or sugared almonds (his favourites).

"What's this?" he'd say.

"It's Father's Day, Dad," I'd say.

"Oh," he'd say, opening the card. "Very nice."

And that was it.

I'd forgotten it was Father's Day today until I saw people's messages on Facebook, and then the suitable Father's Day presents all over the supermarket this morning.

I'm absolutely amazed by how much it's got to me, now I don't have a father any more.

7 Comments:

Blogger Debby said...

It hits you at odd times...and some not so odd times. Big hugs for you today.

9:31 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

He may not be with you in the flesh but you will always have your father, Daphne. He's in everything you do and say, in your attitudes and feelings and in your outlook on life. He and your mum helped make you the person you are today and I'd say they did a damn decent job of it.

So today, like all of us who may not be able to say the words face to face anymore, you can still say "thank you dad" as it still means as much now as it ever did.

11:04 pm  
Blogger David said...

Hey mate, you can borrow mine, hes grumpy but house trained.

8:26 am  
Blogger Jennytc said...

As Debbie says, it hits you at odd times, Daphne and I echo Silverback's sentiments.

12:47 pm  
Anonymous Milo said...

Very well said by SB!

4:18 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Thank you so much, everyone.

7:50 pm  
Blogger tony said...

My Mum died late last year..& my Dad some 20 years ago.'Orphans Day' Anyone?

9:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home