Monday, June 15, 2009

Things I Can't Say

I tell the truth on this blog. Or the truth as I see it, anyway.

So when I tell a story as a true story, then, as far as I know, it's true.

And when I give an opinion, then it's my real opinion - I don't just say things for effect. I quite like taking a stance sometimes and arguing a more extreme view than the one I actually feel - - but I don't do that on this blog.

Sometimes my stories will get a bit corrupted by time and false memories - - but I don't mean them to. "History is what you can remember" as Sellars and Yeatman said in that gloriously funny book 1066 and All That. Sometimes my memories will be a bit wrong.

Sometimes I'm not sure if things are a memory or what I've been told afterwards. I think I remember eating the whole pot of pepper by mistake when I was less than two years old - - but perhaps I've just been told about it. I've hated pepper ever since, though.

So I tell you the truth, as I see it or remember it, and nothing but the truth. The bit I'm missing is the whole truth. I can't always tell you that.

I can't tell you the whole truth in some of the things I write about because it would be hurtful to my family, or to my friends - - or, sometimes, to me.

So there are things that I'm thinking a lot about that I can't write about on here. Some of my friends who are reading this blog know what at least some of them are. I wish I could share them with all of you - - and when I can, I will. But some things will probably have to stay a secret.

I don't like that. I like openness, not secrets. But I'll always try to protect my loved ones: my family and my friends.

Sorry to be so enigmatic. It's really not my style.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Milo said...

There was me thinking I was the only one who talked in riddles on their blog, what with my "he" and "that which is beyond the scope of this blog" comments!

Hoping for a good outcome whatever it is.

10:57 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

We're with you, Daphne, come hell or high water, even if only virtually.

I remember reading 1066 And All That back in the fifties when I was a teenager. Hilarious! Never heard of it since, although I just discovered it has its own Wikipedia entry.

I live a somewhat sheltered life.

3:07 am  
Blogger Daphne said...

Milo - thank you - it's several different things involving several different people! I'll tell more as and when I can.
Bob - thank you, much appreciated. Yes, "1066 and All That" is a book I've always loved. Thank you for your follow-up comment on Silverback's blog post, too.

7:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said. Its hard isnt it - wanting to express yourself but also wanting to protect yourself and others. Quite a rock and a hard place.

Funnily enough I only discovered '1066 And All That' just this weekend! Planning to read it soon.

12:52 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Daphne - What I have enjoyed about your blog is its candidness, its range, its humanity and its unpretentious use of language. Whatever this stuff is that you cannot broach in the blog, I hope you are soon able to store it under "memory" or "experience".
Best wishes - Y.P..

1:24 pm  
Anonymous Milo said...

The other thing you could do is password protect posts, like I do. Not sure if blogger let's you do that. If not, another good reason for you to make the move to wordpress. :)

2:02 pm  
Blogger Diz said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:10 pm  
Blogger Diz said...

(previous post deleted because I left some words out, so it didn't make sense)
As you say, there are three levels of truth. We know we can expect the truth from you, and nothing but the truth (apart from the odd bit of artistic exaggeration, which we relish).
However, the whole truth must, in my opinion, give way to something more important; sense.
Your priorities have to be the safety and peace of mind of you and your family.
This is your blog; you decide when you are comfortable about sharing things with us all.
Stick with your integrity and gut instinct about what to write and when. Things will come out eventually, when you feel the time is right.

9:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home