Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Interesting Times

My mother rang from Tenby, where she's spending a few days by herself - - and yet she's not really by herself, because she's staying in the hotel where we've stayed every year since I was nine. It's been owned by the same family since then and I know they'll all look after her really well.

"I haven't been in the sea yet," she said. She had, however, been in the open-air pool, twice. The first time she swam twenty lengths but since that went well she did forty the next time. On this doubling ratio she could be across the Atlantic if she stayed a couple of weeks.

Olli and Gareth are having an interesting evening tonight: at midnight they are going to see the new Star Trek film at the Imax Cinema in at the National Media Museum in Bradford. They're also planning an interesting Saturday: they are going to London to a recording of the television quiz QI, (Quite Interesting, if you don't know it - - it's really - - oh, the clue's in the title) with the magnificent Stephen Fry.

Poor Stephen is being left for a couple of days with only Froggie the cat for company, because tomorrow Silverback and I are going to London to see the delightful Helen Kennedy in the comedy News Revue at the Canal Cafe Theatre (9.30pm tomorrow - - every Thursday - Saturday until May 24). Silverback has written about our planned trip on his blog . I really enjoyed our last trip to London and I hope this one will be just as good.

Interesting times, indeed. Perhaps it's Spring at last.

4 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

I thought "Interesting Times" was a novel by Charles Dickens... Are you sure that Stephen really trusts you with Old Silverback the male gorilla?

12:26 am  
Blogger Kate said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:03 am  
Blogger Kate said...

'Interesting Times' is also a novel by Terry Pratchett - he says it's a curse: "May you live in interesting times"

Sounds like you're going to have some fun.

7:04 am  
Blogger Carolina said...

Hi, I popped over here from Rhymeswithplague and via Silverback.
I am a fan of QI and of Stephen Fry, so you can imagine I turned slightly green with envy reading that Olli and Gareth are going to the recording. I have no idea who Olli and Gareth are, this being my first time here, but that is not important. I would love to be one of them ;-)

Hope you have a nice time in London.

Nice to have met you,
Carolina

6:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home