Saturday, September 27, 2008

Goodbye, Paul

He used to be the same age as the Communist in all the newspaper articles, but now that the Communist is eighty-five, he seems to have lagged behind a bit at eighty-three.

And now Paul Newman's dead.

I feel shocked. Of course, he was eighty-three which is really quite old - - but, come on! Paul Newman! Paul Newman of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, one of the first films that I loved.

Paul Newman of The Sting, a few years later.



I had never heard that Scott Joplin music before the film came out and I loved it. One night several of us danced for hours to the LP (that's long-playing record) in our dining-room with the bouncy floorboards, with the poor old Dansette record-player struggling to survive as it jiggled up and down. By heck, we knew how to live in those days.

Of course, Paul Newman's been in many films since then, but those two made such an impression on me in my teenage years. One of the things that really brings home the passage of time is the death of the icons of your youth. Paul Newman, eh? I can't believe it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh goodness that is sad.

And just shows the power of your blog and the internet that, having been closeted away a bit today not seeing any TV or hearing any radio news, I have found out about this via a feed from your blog onto my Google desktop.

I think I have always had a bit of a crush on Paul Newman - those amazing eyes, that fantastic talent and whenever I have seen him in interviews he always came across as such a genuinely lovely person. Mind you I don't think I've ever bought any of his pickles!

10:04 pm  
Blogger David said...

My childhood would not have been the same without Butch & Sundance, coolhand luke, et al. Wonder if todays leading men will as good a legacy.

10:25 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

It's easy to be cynical but the proceeds of Newman's salad dressings all went to charity! Setting an example for other rich bastards - if only they would follow his selfless example! R.I.P. Paul Newman.

12:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know, isn't it sad? He seemed to be such a good man, too.

I've bought some of his sauces - they're pretty good! And I like that he donated the profits to charity.

8:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home