Thursday, September 18, 2008

Spam

As part of my work, I have to send out vital bits of information about forthcoming acting work. We have several email lists for different purposes.

One actress found out, via her boyfriend who's also on our lists, that she hasn't been receiving emails from us.

She emailed me to inquire why she wasn't on the lists.

I replied to say that she was. The lists had not changed. Perhaps her computer was putting emails from me into spam, because they were from a group mailing.

In case she didn't get the email, though of course it was sent just to her, I emailed her boyfriend with this news too.

A few days later she texted me to ask me to put her back on our lists. I texted back to say she is STILL ON OUR LISTS.

She texted me again with her email address. I checked it. It's the one we've got. I texted back to say she is STILL ON OUR LISTS AND THE ADDRESS IS CORRECT (okay, I didn't shout).

Then she got her boyfriend to email to ask me to put her back on the lists because she isn't getting any emails from us - - -

Fearing that this could carry on for ever, and ever, and ever, I rang her and explained that it's entirely possible that her system is putting emails from us into spam and could she please check?

She said she would check, but that it didn't before, and why should it now?

I don't know, is the answer. Because the computer is a contrary beast, is another answer.

No, I know, it's not a very exciting story, but I have four hundred or so days of work to sort out and am in the process of finding actors to fill them, and things like this just make me sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are only sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-ing and not yet screaming and tearing your hair out - must be the prospect of going to Florida!

PS it always surprises me when people don't add group mailing lists they want to actually receive emails from onto their email safe lists. It's not difficult and probably takes a lot less time (theirs and yours) than texting and phoning someone to find out why you're not getting emails from them. Hope the actress has managed to sort it out.

10:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also she may have upgraded something and not made sure it also updated her preferences.

Software can be full of holes and inefficiencies, especially the cheap/free stuff.

Sigghhhhh, indeed. I'd have been tempted to keep sending her the same answer by email each time she kept asking the same question. Then maybe she'd have rung you - and sooner. ;)

11:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home