Sunday, September 21, 2008

Here Comes the Sun - - though a bit late

It was a lovely day in Roundhay Park, Leeds, yesterday: an ordinary day, blue skies, green grass, blue water:

The trees still are in late-summer mode:

Until you look closely. And then you know it's nearly autumn.


Acorns, sweet chestnuts and - my favourites - conkers, all nearly ripe.

The summer of 2007 produced one of the most beautiful British autumns ever. In 2007 we had terrible flooding in June. This year we've had rain, it seems, almost every day throughout July and August. I've noticed a lot of the leaves on the horse-chestnut (conker) trees are turning a strange, crinkly brown around the edges. It doesn't look like the usual autumn brown. My theory is that the poor trees are so waterlogged that they're drowning.

The sunshine this last couple of days is all very well but it's too little, too late. This year we just haven't had that heart-lifting cheer of a few weeks when we need the fan switched on in the office to keep cool and can sit outside on the lawn with our sandwiches at lunchtime.

Where am I going in a few weeks' time? I'll just mention it again, shall I? Oh yes, Florida. Yes, if summer won't come to me I'm off to find it elsewhere. I've never been abroad in the winter and heading off to find sunshine in November still feels like cheating.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hasn't the weather been perfect the past two days? Having sunlight makes such a difference. I love autumn.

10:48 pm  
Blogger Mr Farty said...

Weather's been fab here too, but that's what happens when you go abroad for your holidays.

Florida, eh? Nice. Remember to wear sunblock, British skin isn't used to real sunlight.

10:54 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

It seems that you have chosen the perfect year dor chasing the sun, Daphne! You'll appreciate it all the more after this rotten summer. :)

8:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home