Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Daffodils from the Seventies

My grandmother used to do a lot of embroidery, but quite often didn't finish making something from the embroidered cloth.

She died in 1991, age ninety-three.

The last time Amy, who is eighty-four, was over here to visit from her home in Barrow-in-Furness, she found some of this embroidery and made it into a cushion cover.

Now she's found some more, and is doing the same thing:

and here's a close-up of the embroidery:

Now it's a kind of double family treasure: embroidered in the nineteen-seventies by my tiny-and-clever grandmother Charlotte and hand-sewn into a cushion-cover by the lovely and supremely talented Amy.

A lot of embroidery was done to make tablecloths and I'm not an embroidered-tablecloth kind of person myself: these are more casual times, perhaps.

But I love it that this beautiful old embroidery's being recycled. By chance, when I saw textile designer Katrin Freitag the other day I saw some delightful cloth bags which she's been making from old embroidered tablecloths.

We hear of recycling all the time these days: this is a lovely form of it.

3 Comments:

Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Daphne, these are absolutely lovely! Mrs. Rhymeswithplague's favorite colo(u)r is yellow, so I've become a sucker for anything yellow that's allso incredibly well-done, and these daffodils are both! And how wonderful that your grandmother did it!

All right, class, let's recite all together now: "I wander'd lonely as a cloud...."

9:14 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

As you might have guessed, I am not a fanatic about embroidery but my mother was an expert seamstress and craftswoman and I admire any form of creativity which both brightens the world and personalises design. It doesn't all have to happen in magazines and London. It's a shame that some of these patient crafts which mothers used to hand down to their daughters are now being lost in the Primark/M&S throwaway world of today.

11:57 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

Just gorgeous. What an awesome memory every time you see that pillow.

I'm a tea towel fanatic. I love them. I try to collect them when I travel. If I visit someone, I try to get them to give me one of theirs. I love using the tea towels and thinking about where they came from. My favorites are the ones Silverback's mum gave me.

Hmmmm I hear you're coming to America. You don't, by chance, have any old tea towels laying around do you? *g*

4:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home