Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Arrival of Wendy Wollstonecraft

This post's going to cover a lot of ground but I'll do my best. It's going to lurch from Cute Overload to touch very fleetingly on eighteenth-century feminism. Please bear with me.

My lovely daughter Emily got married to the equally lovely Gareth in February: but she has since changed her first name and is now called Olli.

Olli and Gareth live in York and they have just today acquired a kitten: they bought it a couple of weeks back, have been to visit it with its mother and now it's old enough to come to live with them. On the way back to York with the kitten they called in here so that we could see for ourselved that it's the cutest kitten in the whole world ever (apart from our cat Froggie, of course - though she was a stray so I didn't know her when she was a kitten).

The kitten has a W on her forehead and is now called Wendy Wollstonecraft. Here she is, on my friend Sarah's shoulder:

and here is Wendy, doing her best to amuse Gareth and, it must be said, succeeding:

You will notice that Gareth is rather big and that Wendy is really very small.

I didn't get any really good photos of her, because it's tricky taking photos of kittens, because they won't keep still, and in a roomful of lovestruck kitten fans and kitten equipment it's doubly difficult. But take it from me, she's mega-cute.

I'll do the next bit quickly: the Wendy is because it's a good name for a kitten, and because of the W. The Wollstonecraft is after Mary Wollstonecraft, who wrote A Vindication of the Rights of Women in 1792. As part of my Eng Lit degree at Leeds, I had to write a 2,000-word comparison of this work with Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch. It was the 1970s, what can I say?

I have no idea what my conclusions were so luckily for you I can't thrill you with them. Oh, wait! I think my general conclusion was that there are more interesting ways to spend a summer than writing stuff like that. I never even bothered to collect it after it was marked so have no idea what grade I got.

Why the kitten has the surname Wollstonecraft I just don't know. Perhaps Olli and Gareth will explain. But hey! Cute kitten, or what?

5 Comments:

Blogger BipolarBunny said...

Cute kitten. I hope you and Wendy bring each other much happiness.

9:25 pm  
Blogger David said...

Cute today and now it has your heart it will only break it.

9:35 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

As she'll be living in York, I guess I'll not get to see her till April at least - but she'll still be cute.

10:18 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

Awwww cute indeed! Does that make her your grandkitten?

1:11 pm  
Blogger mutikonka said...

Wollestonecraft is also the Tunbridge Wells of Sydney (as in "angry of ..."), the retirement place of our ratbag former conservative PM John Howard.

2:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home