Monday, July 07, 2008

When I've Finished this Chapter

"Daphne, could you come and help with the washing-up?" (Or any other dull task deemed suitable for children to help with).

"Yes, when I've finished this chapter."

Then I'd just keep on reading and hope that they never realised that my so-called "chapter" was about fifty pages, and that by that time Someone Else would have done the washing-up.

My idea of a social event was to find a corner of the room, grab a book or magazine from my host's shelves, and read it until until somebody stopped me. My idea of a meal was a Good Book and some food to accompany it. Actually a Good Television Programme would have done just as well, but we didn't eat in front of the television, oh dear me no, we all sat round the table like a Proper Family.

I still confuse reading and eating in my head: they seem like the same thing to me. Yes, I know that's a weird thing to think, you don't need to tell me this. Many people have told me it already.

Now I'm a grown-up (barely) I shamelessly read whilst I'm eating, and I shamelessly watch television whilst I'm eating. And I have not prevented Emily from doing the same.

Here is Emily about to enjoy a lovely breakfast in Bala.

Ah yes, Stephen Fry's autobiography, an excellent read, I'd certainly recommend it - at least the half I read before it vanished and reappeared in front of Emily's face.

Still, she reads very quickly and I've got it back now.

Here she is again, on the beach with Gareth:

Nature or Nurture, I wonder?

(And thanks to Emily and Gareth for giving me their permission to show you the photographs).

3 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

Nice photos, Daffy, but I'm not going to that place in Bala. Their weird teacups wouldn't hold enough for me I'm afraid !

And you never told us you'd developed levitation abilities in Tenby either.

10:48 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

I'm a voracious reader. You'd have been fine with the 'after this chapter' line with the book I'm reading now. There are none! I noticed that the other night as I read in bed. Silverback always reads to the end of a chapter in bed...I read until I get tired and quit. I closed my book the other night thinking 'ohhhhh he'd be in deep trouble with this book'! It is very good though...another Pearl S. Buck novel.

Emily looks to be absorbing that books information through osmosis!

3:02 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

My sister always used to announce that she needed to go to the toilet first if it was her turn to do the dishes, in the hope that, by the time she came downstairs again, it would be done.

6:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home