Saturday, June 28, 2008

Chips and Mayonnaise

"Can I get some mayonnaise and ketchup, please?" asked Gareth of the waiter in Caffi Beca, which is a delightful and unpretentious cafe not too far from Cardigan.

Because I am not pedantic in any way at all, I didn't bother pointing out to him that this "Can I get" construction is quite clearly replacing "May I have" in younger people at least: I blogged about it earlier this year in a very accepting-of-change way and not in a pedantic-old-fart way at all. Just wanting to be sure that you know that.

But MAYONNAISE with CHIPS? No. Ketchup with chips. I had to point out the error of his ways. Ketchup with chips. Mayonnaise with - - - well, nothing at all, really. Mayonnaise is mere gloop. Mayonnaise is just salad cream with the interest taken out.

Emily weighed in with a whole new tack which is that mayonnaise is usually eaten with fries, not chips; curly fries in particular, which she said were delicious. Though I tried some once and she is wrong.

Further, she explained, fries are mostly corn. There is more potato in McDonalds' milk shakes than there is in their fries, she said, warming to her topic.

I came back to the fact that Gareth was eating CHIPS. Proper chips in a proper cafe. Proper chips made from proper potatoes that grew in the ground.

And you may, if you so wish - and I generally do - eat them with ketchup, but because I was reared a rather long time ago I would call it "tomato sauce".

Sadly, by the time the debate was well under way, Gareth had dipped all his chips in mayonnaise and eaten them.

There are, I suppose, somewhere on the planet a strange group of people who prefer curly fries made from corn and wallpaper paste to proper chips made from POTATOES. And I'm sorry if you're in the USA and call all chips fries anyway. Just don't dip them in mayonnaise, that's my advice.

I'm so glad we've cleared that up.

10 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

I like the way your blog always explores the important stuff!

12:13 am  
Blogger Debby said...

As Silverback can well tell you, mayonnaise (and lots of it if you please) and delicious, hot, crispy fries (yes I am American) are one of my greatest eating pleasures. I find it a wonderful taste experience. I just love the way the creamy cold mayonnaise commingles in my mouth with the crispy, hot, salty, fries. Ahhhhh yes, someone must forge forward in the world of culinary exploration. Gareth and I shall lead the way!

4:07 am  
Blogger CLS said...

Well - Mary K introduced me to a mayonaise/mustard dip for fries - - I think the mayo part must be a midwest thing - - you know, The Mayo Clinic and all


:)

4:20 am  
Blogger Diz said...

Umm, I suspect Gareth's taste for mayonnaise on his chips is likely my fault, whether by nature or nurture. I find that mayo rather than the usual condiments cuts down on the salt intake; always good for the old blood pressure. (well that's my excuse, if you think I need one).
Say hi to Derek for me.

8:25 am  
Blogger Malcolm Cinnamond said...

You've not been to Belgium, have you?

The 'can I get?' thing is common in Scotland as in: "Can I get an Irn Bru and a deep-fried Mars Bar with my fish supper?"

6:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belgium, indeed, is where you need to go to see the light. They invented the things (French is a misnomer) and they know a thing or two about what they’re best dipped in.

Meanwhile, in the Netherlands, wanting both mayonnaise and ketchup, Gareth would need to order a tastefully named ‘patatje oorlog’. Roughly translated: chip war.

7:25 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Thank you, Mr Pudding - I am in fact trying really hard to save the world, but I'm just doing it one little bit at a time, and will eventually marry them all up and everything will be wonderful. Well, that's the plan.
Debby - - well, you make it sound very tempting, I'm nearly convinced, but just not quite, because I think Mayonnaise is Gloop of the Devil and there's no getting round that one.
The mustard does sound an improvement, Cis, and I can see your motive, Dizzy. As for Malc and Michael, you are correct, I have not been to Belgium, but I am fully prepared to visit and show them the error of their ways. And thank you for you comments, everyone - always welcome!

10:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also prefer mayonnaise with chips rather than ketchup. I had a Dutch friend staying over this weekend and I treated him to fish and chips on Saturday night at what is meant to be one of the best 3 fish and chips shops in all of London. Was utterly divine. He munched away on his chips with lots of mayonnaise (as the Dutch are wont to do) but with fish and chips I just put on lashings of salt and vinegar - which he thought quite gross!

However, when ordering chips as a snack in a wine bar, for example, I would always ask for mayo rather than ketchup.

Nowt so queer as folk eh? :)

10:59 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

VINCENT
I dunno, I didn't go into a Burger King. But you know what they put on french fries in Holland instead of ketchup?

JULES
What?

VINCENT
Mayonnaise.

JULES
Goddamn!

VINCENT
I seen 'em do it. And I don't mean
a little bit on the side of the
plate, they fuckin' drown 'em in
that shit.

JULES
Uuccch!

Pulp Fiction
Quentin Tarentino

11:09 pm  
Blogger Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Curry sauce!

2:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home