Monday, July 07, 2008

Not Still the Same

Time for a musical interlude. Here's a song that I like - I Dreamt I Dwelt in Marble Halls - in a version that I like, by Enya. Looking on t'interclacker, I found that many people seem to think that she wrote it, but she didn't: I remember singing it at school, probably extremely badly. It was written by Michael W. Balfe and first performed in 1843 as part of the ballad opera The Bohemian Girl.

It was difficult to find a decent version of it on Youtube: the ones of Enya herself were all terrible quality. So I've settled for this version, which at least has pretty pictures.

They're WRONG pictures though. The song itself isn't about the marble halls, vassals, serfs, suitors, knights - - it's about the chorus. I dreamt I dwelt in marble halls - - and had lots of wonderful things - - and I ALSO dreamt THAT YOU LOVED ME STILL THE SAME.

Here are the lyrics:

I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls,
With vassals and serfs at my side,
And of all who assembled within those walls,
That I was the hope and the pride.
I had riches too great to count
And a high ancestral name;
But I also dreamt, which pleased me most,
That you lov'd me still the same
That you lov'd me, you lov'd me still the same,
That you lov'd me, you lov'd me still the same.

I dreamt that suitors sought my hand;
That knights upon bended knee,
And with vows no maiden heart could withstand
They pledg'd their faith to me;
And I dreamt that one of that noble host
Came forth my hand to claim.
But I also dreamt, which pleased me most,
That you lov'd me still the same
That you lov'd me, you lov'd me still the same,
That you lov'd me, you lov'd me still the same.

I've been thinking of this song because of a couple I know who've recently split up: and I wasn't expecting it at all. When something like that happens, your whole world picture changes, just a little.

I love Enya's voice and the simplicity of her delivery, and I think it's both beautiful and very moving.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I just wanted you to know that the photos for my video aren't wrong...just as they aren't right. It is my creative interpretation and vision of the song. I made this video because I love Enya's voice... and also because I believe that I had a past life, not only of being in a royal court but having the love of a templar knight.

You have a really nice blog!
thanks for posting my video

11:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home