Saturday, July 05, 2008

From Beautiful Bala

I'm in Bala in North Wales, surrounded by hills and glorious views. The signal does seem better here than in previous years (I'm using a 3G card which picks up the mobile phone signal).

So just a quick post today to thank everyone who's left comments on my posts while I've been away - there've been some really good ones and some I'll reply to when I get home tomorrow. It's always good to get comments - please do leave one if ever you feel like it!

It's the Wimbledon Finals this weekend of course. Well, I think so. I haven't seen a newspaper or watched television since I left Leeds the Friday before last, so I don't even know who's playing! I'd guess Federer but that's all I'd guess!

Once, this would have been unheard of for me - I used to love tennis and probaby still would if I had more time to watch it. I am, after all, The Woman Who Once Touched Rod Laver's Arm. (Don't ask "Who's Rod Laver?" Just don't.) I date from the days of Bjorn Borg, John Lloyd, Ilie Nastase. Billie-Jean King. Martina Navratilova, who was born on the same day as me. Yvonne Goolagong. Chris Evert. Gabriela Sabatini. (Heterosexual male readers, who were going oh yes, Billie-Jean King, oh yes, Martina Navratilova, are suddenly getting more attentive to this post now, I can sense it).

I remember travelling all the way back from Tenby one year listening on the car radio to Boris Becker winning Wimbledon for the first time. I remember being in a tent in France listening to Bjorn Borg winning - - again.

I used to like playing tennis too - I was never very good, lacking the ability to run, which seems to be rather crucial. But I did enjoy it.

A Wimbledon Final, and I don't know who's playing, or whom they beat to get there! I think I'd like to get tennis back into my life.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daphne - snap, I share those sentiments exactly now. I used to absolutely love tennis. It was the ONLY sport I followed - specifically Wimbledon, and I would watch it for hour after hour. I really liked Boris Becker back then too. Now - I have no idea who is playing and I have no interest at all. I certainly couldn't give a hoot about Murray either. Funny how things change.

6:57 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

"New balls please!"

10:54 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

The news has probably reached Wales by now but it's Federer v Nadal and if it goes as planned, it'll still be on when you get home - no matter when that may be !

And that's without taking rain interruptions into consideration and there are plenty of those forecast.

3:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home