Friday, July 04, 2008

Titbits

Whenever I hear the word "titbits" I think of my grandmother, the Communist's mother.

Born in Lithuania, she moved to Leeds, England at the age of fourteen, and she lived to be ninety-six. Or maybe ninety-five or ninety-seven: she was older than my grandfather so tended to lie about her age and in the end even she forgot how old she was.

When I knew her, in old age, her favourite magazine was always Titbits. As far as I can remember, it consisted of lots of little - er - titbits of news. Of course, any magazine of that name now would be found firmly on the top shelf, but this one was clean and, if my memory serves me correctly, a sort of love-child of the Fortean Times and Hello.

When my grandmother got to be Very Very Old Indeed, long after my grandfather had died, and it was clear that she was now two coupons short of a toaster in the marbles department - though always very charming with it - they assessed her, and decided that she was blind.

This came as news to my grandmother, who cheerily moved into the Home for the Blind that they suggested, where she lived for perhaps ten years, getting gently more and more confused and forgetful - - but still reading bits aloud from her Titbits magazines till almost the day she died.

Anyway, all that was a preamble to a couple of unrelated titbits of news.

You may remember that, a few weeks ago, Silverback and I had what most definitely can be described as A Grand Day Out in London: and we saw the preview of the film Summer, directed by Kenny Glenaan.

Steve Evets, who is one of the actors represented by the agency that I work for, has a major role in it: the film stars Robert Carlyle.

And today there was a piece about Steve and the film in The Guardian - please read it here . It's very complimentary about Steve, and deservedly so.

My second titbit of news is that today is our last day in Tenby, for this year at least. As a child, I would generally cry, on and off, throughout the second half of the holiday, in sad anticipation of its end. What a pleasure that must have been for my loving family! Of course, I've grown up since then - I've only cried once about it today.

I keep waiting to tire of Tenby, of its scenery and its walks and its safe sea for swimming - - and then I find I never do. I find myself quite tempted to buy the old lifeboat station and live in it. But the maintenance would be many thousands per year, so perhaps not.

Of course, I've always gone on holiday to other places too, though the thrombosis in my leg when I was twenty-eight stopped me travelling much for a number of years. So yes, I want to come back to Tenby - - but before I'm much older, I want to travel more to places further afield.

A rather rambling post today, I know. Tomorrow I'll be in Bala and may not be able to post as ths signal's distinctly dodgy there (I am using a 3G card on my lovely little Asus Eee). So perhaps, the next time you hear from me, I'll be back home in Leeds.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had a good holiday. I've only done 1 UK holiday in the past 10 years (Somerset last year, you may remember from my old blog) but I really enjoyed it. I'd like to do Scotland next. I was born in Wales but haven't been back in many, many years; would like to go back there too.

10:50 pm  
Blogger CLS said...

I am assumong the picture of the old station is the one you posted earlier? I couldn't get the info from your 'forward'. It really does look interesting - but sadly not practical and I would imagine just a bit chilly at times...
would like to see you visit Florida in the Winter - it makes a nice change :)

1:44 am  
Blogger Debby said...

We say 'tidbits' here.

What I'm wondering, and I've just got off a very long work shift so perhaps I shouldn't wonder at all....but if your Grandmother was blind, how did she read her 'Titbits' each day? Just a little tidbit for me to ponder!

I do so enjoy your blog. Thank you. I thought I'd let you know that my husband loves it also. He just doesn't know how to post comments...I get them from him though!

2:17 am  
Blogger Daphne said...

I don't know Scotland well, Bun, but the bits I do know are great. And, of course, I'd heartily recommend Wales!
CLS - yes, that's the old lifeboat station, the red and white one. I suspect the maintenance will be prohibitively expensive and it may be demolished eventually. And yes, Florida in the winter does sound very attractive - I have NEVER been out of the UK in the winter, which astonishes everyone!
Debby - thank you so much for your kind comments. And as for how did my grandmother read when she was supposed to be blind - - yes, good question, and one we never managed to answer!

4:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home