Friday, June 27, 2008

From Bala by Eee

Here I am in Bala in North Wales, looking out of the window of the guesthouse. Firstly there's a field of cows, and the field slopes gently down the valley to the town of Bala at the bottom. Then, in the distance, misty hills. It's getting dark rapidly and the street lights are shining.

I've had a laptop for a few years; it weighs about as much as my car and is powered by a small coal-fired boiler tucked underneath. Whenever you want to use it you have to spend half an hour crushing the coal into small pieces first. When you log on it gives you a welcome message that begins "Hail, sir knight!" - - You get the picture.

So, after a bit of thought - "I want a new laptop!" - and a bit of a reminder from a good friend that I'd been saying that since March, and a lot of research done by Stephen who knows about these things, I bought this, an Asus Eee 900. It's about the size of a paperback. I think I'm going to love it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

A grand Yorkshire laptop then !
Good on thee, lass.

But cows ? Cows ? You can't really be in Wales then. Are you sure Stephen hasn't taken you all to Pontefract ? 'appen.

10:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy Wales (you know I was born there right??) and also the new laptop. Nice to treat oneself once in a while. My dad had my old laptop that I'd bought in Japan in 1998. He was still using it up until spring this year when I flew out to visit him in Africa with a new one in tow. My old one had become a total Neanderthal dinosaur by that point!

9:58 am  
Blogger Daphne said...

Ah, yes, Silverback, I was wondering about the cows. Only cows were visible but in the dark only baaaing could be heard. I think they were probably disguised sheep.

Yes, I did know that you were born in Wales, Bun, you must have mentioned it in a post sometime. This Eee's excellent!

10:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home