Thursday, July 10, 2008

Fantasy Men

I've always felt uncomfortable when a group of women get together and start complaining about their husbands or boyfriends or partners or whatever, as a kind of pastime. I may, perhaps, be fortunate in that I've never had anything to complain about: but what I'm talking about here is not the serious complaints, it's that "and you should see what he does in the bathroom" stuff, especially when it's just used as a form of amusement.

Of course, men may do the same thing, but, as Jane Austen well knew, men's conversation changes when a woman appears on the scene, so I don't know if they do.

(Look, I know this post is what may be termed hetero-normative, ie assuming everyone's straight: I'm really not assuming that, but bear with me please because this is from my point of view, as a straight woman.)

Anyway, when women behave like that I don't like it - I feel that telling all your female friends, in that kind of condescending way, what your partner does with his socks etc, is wrong. And I can honestly say that I've never done it! Hurrah!

It's partly a respect thing - I hate it when women do that "oh, MEN, they're SO - - whatever" in a genuinely complaining way (in contrast, Laura, I loved your post Man Thing on July 8th because it was both affectionate and very funny).

A few times I've been in a room with men and thought, with reference to a particular bloke, "Hey, he really does NOT like women." Fancies them, perhaps, but doesn't like them. Men like that don't interest me at all (nor, let's face it, do I interest them, because I am not early-twenties eye-candy).

Occasionally, I've been listening to some women's conversation and thought "You really don't like men, do you, even though you may fancy them?" And that, I feel is a shame, and their loss, because I do like men, some of them, very much indeed. Apart from the horrible ones, obviously.

I was asked today what men - fantasy men, not real ones - Do It For Me and my first thoughts were my old favourites - they are old too, now, bless 'em - Robert Redford and Paul Newman in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Why? Dunno. Good-looking, yes, but it's really, actually, not that, - - action men, but it's not just that - - witty with it, yes, I like that. I suppose it's the combination.

But, d'you know what, I'm immune to the charms of just about every other Fantasy Film Hunk. Sean Connery - - no - - Daniel Craig - - no - - (enjoyed the Bond film though) Tom Cruise - - does he count? - - anyway, no - - Russell Crowe - - no - - and I can't think of any others, which shows how much I care, or don't, I suppose. - - Oh, all RIGHT then, I did fancy Colin Firth as Mr Darcy, but then who didn't? I quite like a bit of darkly-brooding-suppressed-passion.

The least attractive or interesting type of man is the Himbo: men with lots of muscles but nothing between the ears. I'm totally immune to them. I think this is one area where there is a difference between straight men and straight women - - okay, a difference between straight men and- well - me, as a very small sample of all the straight women in the world. Men can fancy someone without wanting to have any kind of conversation with them. And I just never do.

Fantasy men, in general, therefore? Forget 'em. At least as far as I'm concerned. Mostly. Apart from Mr Darcy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

Do you know, Daphne, I have always adored Anton Rogers and that's about it as far as 'out of reach' men go.

7:40 am  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:18 am  
Blogger Debby said...

Neil Diamond does it for me. Always has. I wonder if his significant other, if he has one, talks about him leaving his underwear on the bathroom floor?

2:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about the tenth doctor?

That episode last series which contained David Tennant, Derek Jacobi, John Barrowman *and* John Simm had me all aflutter.

Julie

9:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home