Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Bring Back Words

Remember that television programme where they showed the contestants a picture and they had to guess what saying or proverb or whatever it meant?

I could never guess the answer. You could show me a picture of a stone, and show it careering down a hill going round and round, and show me a picture of some moss crossed out, and I STILL wouldn't come up with "A rolling stone gathers no moss."

I like pictures, but not when they ought to be words.

A couple of weeks ago, coming back from Tenby, we were up in the Welsh mountains and very beautiful they were too, in spite of the rather dodgy weather.

We crossed over a stile, which had a footpath on either side. On one side of the stile, but not on the other, was this picture.

No playing with several footballs at once? - - No, because the round things are, in fact, just nails, attaching this important sign to the wood.

No walking? In the mountains? On this footpath? WHY NOT?

Go on then, tell me what it means.

Perhaps I just can't understand it because the picture's in Welsh.

8 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

Well to pinch the famous drawn out line from Sir David Frost...."all the clues are there."

You were in Wales.
You were up a mountain.
The sign shows a man with a line across his private parts.

S'obvious. The sign indicates to the locals that there are NO SHEEP here.

8:34 pm  
Blogger colin said...

It means keep to the footpath.

Or no wondering off over the mountain.

8:38 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

There were indeed NO SHEEP! So I favour Silverback's explanation. But, Colin, thank you - - I would never have taken it to mean that.

9:06 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Does it mean - Warning - black runner with no facial features about to burst through pink diagonal ribbon?

12:15 am  
Blogger Debby said...

I'm sorry. I'm snorting here. I had a comment, I really did. I read silverback's and I'm laughing too hard to continue. Ahhh I do love a good laugh!

1:48 am  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Silverback is completely off track here - nowhere in the Welsh mountains is there a sheep-free area. But, the picture being in Welsh could be right. I must ask Keith to translate.

8:36 am  
Blogger colin said...

I only know because I am sad and asked for a translation from a native a couple of years ago.

1:42 pm  
Blogger Alden Smith said...

This sign has quite obviously been nailed on upsidedown. If you turn it up the other way you see someone hanging from a pair of breasts.
Translating from the obscure but original Welsh it is saying:

" You are presently in the bosum of the Welsh countryside, but don't hang around for too long reading this or your tits will freeze"

6:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home