Thursday, June 19, 2008

Et Maintenant - - -

Nobody would ever class me as a well-travelled person. I love travel programmes on television - most recently Jonathan Dimbleby travelling all over Russia.

It was partly my bad leg - - I'll spare you the details but I had a deep-vein thrombosis when I was twenty-eight - - oh, enough - - but over the years it's got rather better. And I can walk for ages - but standing or sitting still is not good news for it. So I haven't travelled very much, certainly not compared to many people.

Anyway, all this not-travelling thing seems to be changing recently.

A week ago we went to London by train, you may remember: you can read Silverback's highly entertaining account here. Then the next day, by car to Skipton and, over the next few days, to Barnoldswick and back by narrowboat. Home to Leeds and then I went to Dewsbury on Tuesday and to Huddersfield yesterday. Oh yes, you can't say I haven't been travelling. Quite a lot. Quite a lot for me, anyway.

Now, the trip to Dewsbury was to do a medical roleplay to help train some nurses - as you may know by now, I have done lots and lots of this, since 1985. It's one of the - few - things I feel really confident about. So when I was sent a job advert (thanks Martina!) asking for people with diabetes who could do medical roleplay I thought hey! I've got to be in with a chance of getting this.

The upshot is, I'm doing it. On Saturday. In Paris.

So I'm travelling by Eurostar from Leeds tomorrow, staying in a hotel overnight in Paris, doing the roleplay on Saturday morning and travelling back Saturday evening. They are paying all my expenses and a generous fee.

I remember in my A-level French course there was a whole section about the Chunnel - - the Channel Tunnel. It was just a big idea in those days - nobody thought it would actually ever exist.

And tomorrow I'll be travelling through it. I've never been abroad on my own, so I'm a bit nervous, but I'm really excited. Laugh at me if you like, I don't care! I'm off to Paris! Wooohooo!

I'll tell you all about it when I get back. And also about my skills in narrowboat-steering, since you ask, Mr Pudding.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bon voyage! You will adore Paris! Leave any image you have behind (of the Parisians being terribly haughty and up themselves) as I did not find them like that at all. I'd rather live in Paris than London.

I'm off to Rome on Sunday with A for 4 days so I'm also travelling! Have a good time!

10:11 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

you'll love it, Daphne. Have a great time.

9:48 am  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

That's brilliant Daphne!...This DVT - did you get it on an aeroplane?

12:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home