Monday, June 23, 2008

On a Paris Street

"I've got just over an hour free," I said to the delightful man who ran the Institute. "Which is the best direction to wander in?"

"Well, if you want shopping - - "

"No, no, not shopping. I just want to look."

"That way then. There's a big church up there on the left, you can use that to orientate yourself. There are lots of interesting streets up there. I'll put my mobile number into your phone in case you get lost. And here's a map. Just ring me if you have any problems."

So much for the myth about rude Parisians. I found everyone charming.

I wandered up a street near the Rue de Chateaudun, a street of small shops.

Flower shops:

Fruit and vegetable shops:

Cake shops:
The sun shone and everyone I passed smiled at me. It was that kind of morning.

I kept thinking of Ella Fitzgerald singing "I love Paris in the springtime, I love Paris in the fall, I love Paris in the winter when it drizzles, I love Paris in the summer when it sizzles."

It sizzled. I love Paris.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

Keith would have loved the cake shops!

9:54 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

I love the pastry shops the best! Oh oh oh and the crepe stands....oh oh oh and the bread stands...oh oh oh!

Lovely memories your pictures stirred up.

9:58 pm  
Blogger Honey said...

looks kind of like brussels!
great to hear you had a lovely time x

10:24 pm  
Blogger Alice said...

I love the photos of Paris. It always rains whenever I go there - but it's still like nowhere else on earth.

Alice

5:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pics!

"So much for the myth about rude Parisians. I found everyone charming."

Totally agree with you there, that stereotype is so 1980s. However, it does hold true for Madrid so be warned if you ever go there... that was the only European city break I didn't like (they spoke no English and I spoke no Spanish which certainly didn't help).

1:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home