Monday, June 02, 2008

At Last I Can Tell You

In the beginning there was Cathy Come Home.

My beginning, at least - I was very young when it was shown and I have absolutely no idea how I came to see it, since I was usually packed off to bed at eight o'clock. Perhaps The Communist was aware of director Ken Loach's left-wing reputation. Anyone "left-wing" was okay in our house and anyone who wasn't, wasnt. It was all very black and white.

Anyway, I saw it - about a young family who lose their income and their home and finally their children - and it both shocked me - me, from an obviously middle-class household, yet one with a Communist in it - and fired me with a strong sense of "up-with-this-I-will-not-put!"

Then, in 1969 - and several times since - I saw the superb Kes, still one of the best films ever, also directed by Ken Loach, and with the excellent late Brian Glover doing the best - and most authentic - sadistic PE teacher I have ever seen.

Both of these stuck in my mind and have always remained there, and I've admired Ken Loach ever since (oh yes, and he directed Z-Cars too, and if you're old enough to remember it, I know you're already singing the signature tune).

And now, many years later, Ken Loach is filming a new feature film, Looking for Eric, around Manchester.

As I've told you from time to time, I work for an actors' agency. It was back in December that the casting breakdown - which describes the roles for which a director is seeking actors - for Looking for Eric came into our office.

If you look at this link you will see - - not exactly prominently featured, but there nevertheless - that the actor playing the leading role is Steve Evets.

And yes, he's one of our actors. Although he's not a household name, he's an actor who excels in both serious roles and in comedy. He's been working solidly in television for many years, and he's terrific: and, believe me, he worked hard to get this role. You can see him at Holmfirth Arts Festival soon (click on the link for a photo of him) in John Coombes's excellent short film Babbling Fools.

So, what's Looking for Eric about? Well, of course, I can't really tell you. If you read the Wikipedia entry about Ken Loach, you'll learn something of how he works. But all I will say is that when seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.

Steve is having a fantastic time filming it. Hurrah for Ken Loach for not going with a Celeb for the main role. I can't, of course, tell you any more at the moment - - but I think it's going to be superb. And I'd just like to say - - in a considered, quiet and thoroughly British manner - - - WOOOHOOO!!!

I'll tell you more, when I can. Meanwhile, I think I've just gone for the All-England Record for the number of links in one blog post.

1 Comments:

Blogger Malcolm Cinnamond said...

I know only too well the inflexible left-good anything else-bad attitude.

Sardines? Trawlers? A bit 1995, isn't it?

2:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home