Monday, May 26, 2008

Eccle Riggs Again

I'm still back in the 1960s, at Eccle Riggs, the hotel near Broughton-in-Furness which I wrote about yesterday, where we used to stay often when I was a child.

It was, in many ways, still back in the Victorian era. In the grounds were many plants that had originally been brought by the first owner, Viscount Cross, from the Empire - huge clumps of bamboo, for one thing. Years ago, a square of trees had been planted to make a playhouse for some children - perhaps the same Victorian children whom I thought shared the attic with me.

And of course, now, in the sixties, the trees, once thin saplings in a square, were huge, their trunks squashing into each other. There were huge rhododendron bushes and, in the spring, violets and primroses everywhere in the grounds. It was a place of secret corners, of fallen trees, of chaffinches.

Inside Eccle Riggs all was darkness, peace and wooden panelling. The three spinster owners, the Misses Preston, knitted dolls' clothes and sold dolls, complete with clothes, in aid of the local church. I was given one as a present - I still have it. Let's face it, I still have everything from my childhood really since I've lived in the house where I am now, on and off, since I was three.

Because the owners of Eccle Riggs were devout Christians, a lot of Salvation Army people tended to stay there and I remember them as being very friendly, if a trifle over-jolly. There was a big lounge with huge windows and tables with magazines. No television, of course, dear me, no. In the evenings we sat in the lounge and talked and read the many Readers' Digests that were about: I retain an affection for this much-mocked magazine to this day.

At nine o'clock in the evening the Misses Preston brought in a proper trolley with proper white tablecloths, teapots, crockery and home-made cakes. And, after that, everyone drifted off to bed, hoping the weather would be good for exploring the Lake District the next day.

If it rained - and, this being the Lake District, it sometimes did - there was the library.

Nobody but me ever seemed to go into the library, which was off the entrance hall and which was full of old Victorian books. Most were too heavy and too dull to be worth attempting - but there was some things I liked, such as a very early edition of Edward Lear's nonsense verse, and even that uplifting tale of that Welsh girl who tramped halfway across Wales to get herself a Bible in Welsh. I spent hours in there, reading dull poems by bad Victorian poets, and I loved it.

Such an atmosphere and such a place would not suit every child but oh, boy, it suited me. Hills and streams during the day: good food: plenty to read: places to make dens: freedom to run around outside.

Lucky? Yes, I was.

Idyllic? Yes, it was.

8 Comments:

Blogger MrsG said...

Sounds like the kind of place I would have loved as a kid - I still check wardrobes for secret doors...you never know..!

1:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a nice story. I have similar remembrances from my own childhood concerning big old stone houses and elderly relatives and it feeling like a timewarp. They are happy memories.

7:51 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

Thank you for sharing your memory. It makes me want to experience it for myself. Eccle Riggs sounds so 'me'. Of course, any place that brings me a snack at 9pm is 'me'! I also happen to love the Readers Digest and still read it monthly.

1:43 am  
Blogger Ian Appleby said...

You have a wonderful knack for evoking place and atmosphere. But. Readers' Digest? Really? It's an awful, reactionary, hard-right organ, only good for defacing with wild-boar tusks.

Oh, and when did Eccle last rigg?

8:59 pm  
Blogger AJ said...

Hi Daphne, I am sending you this comment on behalf of my Father (who doesn't have his own blogspot profile) hopefully you'll find it intersting in response to this post!

"
Whilst looking on the internet for pictures of the ‘Pepper Pots’ at Eccle Riggs entrance I came across your memories of Eccle Riggs from May 25th 2008 and found them very interesting.
As the oldest, and one of the longest serving, members of the company that now owns Eccle Riggs, and also a native of the area, I well remember the devout Preston sisters.
In the entrance hall, I remember, as a very young boy, looking at the goodies for sale on side tables. There was never anyone in attendance and I think you left the money in a dish on the table… There was no shoplifting then as above the table there was a large notice displaying ‘God is the Silent Witness’. That put paid to any children’s sticky fingers!
I don’t remember where the library was but I work in the office on the right, by the front door, at the bottom of the stairs. Could it have been in there? It would be nice to think that I work in an old library. In our library upstairs we have sign above the shelves that says: Jorge Luis Borges in the ‘Library of Babel’ said “I have always imagined Paradise as a kind of Library”.
I found the story of you staying in the attic fascinating as I spent several nights working into the early hours, and also several weekends, wiring up the computer equipment there. It may be all peace and calm but I discovered it was never really quiet up there in the dead of night. The house was resting but seemed to be always alive with creaks, scrapes, odd noises, animal cries and even the sounds of aircraft and far off traffic.
The old water tank is still there, albeit empty and too large to remove but the paintings have long since gone.
So, yes, the attic room is still there but is now full of electronic equipment and I usually go up there at least once a day during the course of my working day.
If you remember anything else about Eccle Riggs I would be interested to read about it and it may even feature in our Company Newsletter that I edit.
Regards,
Lex Ward
(Kirkby Roundhead)"

7:48 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jaybird and Lex, thank you SO much for your evocative comment on my piece.
The library was indeed the room that is now your office, on the right at the bottom of the stairs. In the 60s the walls were all bookcases, from floor to ceiling.
I do of course remember the "honesty plate" to put the money in. I have such fond memories of Eccle Riggs - I'd love to see how it is now and I wish you both all the very best.

9:35 pm  
Blogger AJ said...

Hi Daphne, If you really want to see what Eccle Riggs is like now, ring our main order line on 0870 750 1252 and ask for me. I'll see what I can do!
cheers,
Lex Ward

7:09 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very many thanks for this - - I will definitely do this before too long, I would absolutely love to see it. Very best wishes, Daphne

7:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home