Wednesday, May 07, 2008

On the Lawn

The weather's been glorious this past couple of days and suddenly everything's in flower. Our top lawn, which was only mown a couple of weeks ago, is speckled with dandelions, like little suns.

In amongst the dandelions are other things too.

Dandelions and forget-me-nots:

Dandelions and daisies:

Dandelions and violets:

Okay, so perhaps we don't have the neat stripes, but I prefer the flowers. And we do have the neat edges - see the top photo - and here amongst the dandelions is the eighty-four-year-old gardener who neatened them: my mother Joan.

Many thanks to Silverback who took this superb photograph of her yesterday. I can see the young woman in the eighty-four-year old, because - as she said when she saw the photo - "Oh, I do look happy!" Of course, she's very fit and her hair has hardly gone grey and she looks younger than her age anyway - but I think this photo really captures her personality.

She was outside - and she loves being outside - doing one of the things she likes doing best: gardening. Wonderful.

4 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

I have most of those in my garden too, Daphne (apart from your mother of course) and I call them.....weeds !


Ian

7:19 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Glorious British wild flowers, that's what I call them. It's all a question of perception. Coincidentally, my view saves much time which might otherwise be spent weeding.

7:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice photo, and she looks great for 84!

Isn't the weather fabulous??!!

9:29 pm  
Blogger Malcolm Cinnamond said...

84? She's having you on.

Our top field is a great sight at the moment - four-and-a-half acres of daisies and dandelions.

12:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home